Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unrefrigerated Eggs page 2

netbum is offline Member
    well, the egg smelled great and tasted FANTASTIC! had it with some bacon and guacamole ... yum!!

@steve - the eggs are very fresh, was really more concerned about salmonella or something, from them being too warm for too long ...

@chao - well, now we shall see!!

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Believe me, you'll know if you open up a bad egg.

Refrigeration slows the natural degradation of egg quality. One day on the counter eggs are equivalent to one week in the fridge eggs. So your eggs quickly go from AA quality to B. This is not the same as spoilage. The whites spread further, the yolk doesn't stand out as much, but it can still be a perfectly tasty egg.

netbum is offline Member
    LX ... wondering more about salmonella or other evil things growing in the eggs due to their being in heat for three days prior to their arrival here ... can't smell that, i don't think??

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Net -- I think you'll be fine, especially based on all the reassuring info people have shared. I learned a lot about eggs in this thread -- two facts I didn't know: 1) that you could order eggs online -- from Tropical Traditions no less, and 2) that eggs are FINE not refrigerated (really, I had no idea). I am lax about my butter and cheese being refrigerated but didn't know about eggs. Very cool!

Enjoy all your eggs! Frittatas, omlettes, deviled eggs, the possibilities are endless.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm not sure people are considering that your eggs really weren't room temp, sound like they got hot, presumably for several days.

netbum is offline Member
    yep, that's what i mean, avodado ...

netbum is offline Member
    well, i survived! felt a bit nauseous right after eating, but i think that may have been the good 'ole psyche working overtime!

1 down, 37 to go ... (10 broke in transit!) ...

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure people are considering that your eggs really weren't room temp, sound like they got hot, presumably for several days.
    If the eggs are cooked to a minimum 160 deg F, then the risk of Salmonellosis is nil. according to http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...rs/index.asp#9
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by netbum View Post
    well, i survived! felt a bit nauseous right after eating, but i think that may have been the good 'ole psyche working overtime!

1 down, 37 to go ... (10 broke in transit!) ...
    Would they refund/replace just for that? That's 20%!

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by netbum View Post
    LX ... wondering more about salmonella or other evil things growing in the eggs due to their being in heat for three days prior to their arrival here ... can't smell that, i don't think??
    It takes a rather large colony of salmonella to make you sick, so as long as you're cooking your eggs (even if the yolks are soft) I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just avoid drinking them raw.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast