Thread: eating meat made man smarter, according to anthropologists page

cookie is offline Senior Member

eating meat made man smarter, according to anthropologists

i love NPR! give this a read/listen!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=128849908

Gator is offline Senior Member
    Anatomically modern humans appeared over 100,000 years ago. They made tools. They ate meat. They lived the same and did the same things for close to 60,000 years. That is when, suddenly, for no known reason, our ancestors 'got smart' and their tools improved, they started art, they started religious practices and rituals.

So, 60,000 years of meat eating did nothing. What did cause this great change? I have no idea. I don't think that anthropologists have any idea either.

Gator is offline Senior Member
    Anatomically modern humans appeared over 100,000 years ago. They made tools. They ate meat. They lived the same and did the same things for close to 60,000 years. That is when, suddenly, for no known reason, our ancestors 'got smart' and their tools improved, they started art, they started religious practices and rituals.

So, 60,000 years of meat eating did nothing. What did cause this great change? I have no idea. I don't think that anthropologists have any idea either.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Our ancestors may have "gotten smarter" suddenly not because of magic, but because of the domino effect associated with human culture. Over time, knowledge accumulates and evolves alongside the organism itself (e.g., Richard Dawkins's idea of memes). Humans are social animals. Culture, a phenomenon that is not just present in humans, grew alongside humans since day one. Culture is broadly defined as ideas shared by a population. Geographical isolation differentiates different cultures, who often times manifest similar tendencies in different ways (e.g., art, music, cooking).

It may be that after thousands of years of cultural accumulations, humans took the next step in advancement and "got smart." Again, I am speculating, but from what I know, nothing happens overnight, especially in terms of evolutionary-relevant time periods. Those 60,000 years to which you had referred really led up to further advancement through accumulating and updating ideas which often times aided in survival.

Also, I think that a lot of our brain development was not only due to meat, but also to fish, as they have more omega 3 than even wild grass fed meat. Protein from both sources, good fat from both sources, and most importantly, omega 3 from both sources (especially fish) helped proliferate the homo sapien sapiens and their respective cultures into the mess that we call the world today.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Humans have been eating meat for appox 2.5 million years.......for 100,000 years we've perfected the BBq.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Dan Rivera is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How long have humans been cooking? Is cooking, and the caloric availability it gave us, a key step in the development of our brains?