Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm Curious About The Dr. Mehmet Oz Contradiction... page 3

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think his wife was a huge influence in his veghead eating style. She's been a vegetarian since age 15 and has mentioned that she continually nudges him in the vegetarian direction. According to her, he is not total vegetarian yet. She is working to change that.

I enjoy Dr. Oz's TV show but go crazy when he starts talking low fat and vegan. I can't believe the bulk of his audience is veg or vegan either. He would do his viewers a better service if he encouraged eating local foods, sustainable fishes/seafood, grass-fed meats, etc.

cazma250 is offline Junior Member
    Wow, I started this thread (question) about Dr. Oz. I was excited and suprised to see what lively postings it sparked!
    I'm new to PB eating, and have had the book now for a couple of weeks. I am encouraged by what I've read & heard
    so far, and have already lost about 3-4 lbs by my walking/sprinting/grain-free changes.
    I took the suggestions about reviewing Dr. Oz and his discussions with Taubes, Ornish & the AHA lady.
    I had a little different opinion of Mr. Taubes. He may be right-on with his scientific findings and advice about nutrition,
    I won't dispute that. But I had a hard time with his smug, sarcastic and better-than-thou personality. He is SOOOO off-putting,
    and I'd like to suggest to him that if he would just get off his high horse with the attitude, he would be in a much better
    position to influence others. People are also very hard on Dr. Oz and perhaps he is a celebrity hound. That could be
    true. But in professional presence and diplomacy, he's got it going on. I mean, Taubes is so snarky.. Did you hear in the
    Youtube video's (4 of 5 I believe) his interrupting Ornish with saying over and over, "just keep it honest, keep it honest,
    keep it honest." Ornish could be way off nutritionally but he had several good points and he's done his due diligence. He
    remained calm and diplomatic throughout while Taubes acted like every time anyone had a rebuttal he was being
    condemned to life on death row... That said, the guy seems incredibly prepared, well researched and is probably off
    the ricter scale IQ wise. I'd like to hear a more layman's approach with some humility that's all. I'm sure some might
    disagree with my appraisal of him, but if you see these tapes and really look at his body language...WOW, he could use
    a few social skills along with those degrees!

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    A thought/ question -
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=dean+ornish
    What happened to Ornish's hair? Did he just stop dyeing it dark brown? Is it normal for dark hair to change to that russet colour?

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Oz at least looks fit - Ornish looks a little tubby to me. Weil, Artemis stamopolos (I might have her last name wrong) who invented the Mediterranean diet), Barry Sears - all tubby or fat! Compare that to Mark Sisson, Kurt Harris of PaNu, or Loren Cordain. All are lean and fit.

Mica is offline Member
    After my gastroenterologist told me to "eat a KitKat" in order to gain some weight, I pretty much tossed aside any belief that doctors (especially doctors who specialize in human digestion) have any clue about what is healthiest for us. They don't know jack about nutrition. And btw, I see a gastroenterologist because of an IBD - the idea that you would recommend to someone with severely compromised digestion to eat a KitKat bar is so completely backwards I don't even know where to begin.

That girl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mica View Post
    After my gastroenterologist told me to "eat a KitKat" in order to gain some weight, I pretty much tossed aside any belief that doctors (especially doctors who specialize in human digestion) have any clue about what is healthiest for us. They don't know jack about nutrition. And btw, I see a gastroenterologist because of an IBD - the idea that you would recommend to someone with severely compromised digestion to eat a KitKat bar is so completely backwards I don't even know where to begin.
    This just reminded me a consultation with an acclaimed dietitian who suggested I have a scoop or two of ice cream for supper. I was seeing her because I wanted to lose weight by the way.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Reminds me of the NHS dietician who told my Mum to avoid anything made from milk (I asked whether she meant just the lactose, and she said, no, everything in milk) and in the next breath reminded her to keep consuming her prescribed weight-gain drinks. Principle protein in the drinks? Casein.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Its because MDs rarely do the research itself, they simply misinterpret the research that is done by people who are actually trained in proper research: most PhD programs.

I bet that you can get better nutritional advice from a PhD in biology, biochemistry, or a related health field than any MD.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    A thought/ question -
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=dean+ornish
    What happened to Ornish's hair? Did he just stop dyeing it dark brown? Is it normal for dark hair to change to that russet colour?
    Ahaha. We have the prettier old geezer health author.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
    Its because MDs rarely do the research itself, they simply misinterpret the research that is done by people who are actually trained in proper research: most PhD programs.

I bet that you can get better nutritional advice from a PhD in biology, biochemistry, or a related health field than any MD.
    Nah, they're generally going to have a rather narrow view based on their research area. They aren't going to have a broad, integrated knowledge of research in hundreds or thousands of lines of inquiry. They often are not going to have the knowledge of general physiology and pathology needed to make the bridge between bench science and clinical practice. Actually, that bridge is generally addressed in clinical trials, which in fact are headed by MDs. But obviously, a person can't practice medicine all day and be a research scientist all day.

It really should be the province of nutritionists to have this detailed, integrated knowledge. What a shame it isn't.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast