Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ED & primal page 2

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I personally found that I need to stabilize my blood sugar before I entertain any thoughts of fasting. Otherwise, I just end up crashing and getting desperate for carbs again. Once I find myself stable and not succombing to grains/sugars for at least a month, and not wanting them, I'll think about starting to IF, but not till then. I gotta heal the grain/sugar-induced b. s. roller coaster first.
    Word! I'm in the same boat. Decided that for now, IFing wasn't working for me. I'm focusing more on getting my fat/carb/protein ratios good, my calories in the right ball park, and my BS/insulin response even throughout the day. Nicjara, I think it's a great idea to not focus on calorie or carb counting, but I've found it helpful to input my food intake on a site like FitDay - not to track numbers, per se, but to get a sense of, if I have this kind of day of eating, what's the carb count look like? Or the calorie count? It really helps me to better understand the choices I'm making. Just my two cents. I think you ARE on the right track - awesome!
    Last edited by ommmmaggie; 08-05-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    It never gets better on its own without help, only worse. .
    I disagree wth this times a thousand. I was never in treatment or with help. i did it on my own. could i ave done it faster? yes, but my struggle was my struggle. it was real. i fought because i wanted to. i changed because i wanted to. I was 88lbs and 5'8 a few years back. I am now 120 5'7 and growing(osteopenia, lost about an inch) WITHOUT HELP. you can only save yourself, this i believe.
    peole can tell you what to do, how to do it, but until YOU change, YOU accept revoery and what getting better entails- everyhing that comes with it...until you mature to that UNselfish acceptance, you cant get better.
    Accepting getting well means not turning back, not second guessing, not debating, future tripping, preplanning, lettng stress get to you. When something is going wrong in your ED, soething is goin wrong elsewhere in your life. Accepting also means tossing the scale, not food obsessing, gaining weght/losing weight, new clothes, uncomfortablness, bloating, indigestion... i mean it royally SUCKS a lot. nothing like walking around with a preggo belly 24/7. but guess what, once youve accepted getting well, you trust in something a little better than yourself, something stronger, something higher...and your trust is there.

Bulimia and the purge/restrict ED's are essentially 'all in the head'... you NEED to realize, as I did myself that wha you 'think' is ALL FAKE. IT IS NOT REAL. you really need to understand that. the screen i am looking at to type- real...my coffee cup, real. the fat thoughts i have in the morning, NOT real. debating over obsessive macros, food choices, and percent goals...NOT real. wanting to IF when i know RATIONALLY damn well it would be bad for me...NOT real. the shi going on in the head of an ED sufferer, myself includ is NOT REAL. you have chemical deficiencies yes i highly recommend eating a shit load of fat and taking zinc with your meals. if youhave a chance there is an amazing blog called Evolutinary Psychiatry, lady is VERY informative on how ED's are the result of a chemical deficiency... it is really all fake, just like in the movie A beautiful mind, he realized 'it' was going tobe there forever, butthat IT was FAKE and always would be, no matter how real he made it.

anywho, heres that blog i was mentionin http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/ and this ismy blog if you wanna check it out http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

PS- I am glad those who have and are suffering are not fasting...i do think with the ED-head and past that one will surely turn that into some sorta night eating problem, or daytime restriction with night time binging.

nicjara is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Mal-- I commented on your blog a week or so ago. I wanted to get some responses from others who dealt with overeating/bulimia since you struggled with anorexia. Your blog is incredibly inspirational... it's helped so much. and that advice is so true!
    I realize when I am in my "rational mind" that the things I tell myself, the things I see in the mirror, are NOT REAL. and realizing that will help so much... I've spent too much time trying to figure out the "easy way out" when really there just ISN'T one. I'm going to have to work at it... but I think eating this way will make it physiologically easier.
    And about the IF-- I *know* I shouldn't do that. I'm at a healthy BMI and am not trying to lose weight (despite what ED tells me) and that could only make things worse. As I've learned from stupidly trying.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjara View Post
    As I've learned from stupidly trying.
    one thing i have mastered is finding things out for myself haha. you live you learn they say! best of luck to you chick!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by syzchan View Post
    Few suggestions:
    1) Try hard to keep carbs at around 50-75g. Too little, and you may start to get obsessive about them. Plus, for me, I stayed low for a while and it caused me to get a rash. Too much and that may trigger binges. What has helped is limiting the sources and when you can eat them. Like no roasted nuts - too easy to overeat them! Even raw macademias, I can eat a whole cup if I'm in a munchie mood (I've just discovered raw hazelnuts and they are much "drier" so I can't eat that much in one sitting). I've tried to make some of the coconut pancakes, but found that seems to trigger this ferocious hunger, so will be avoiding trying my hand at some of the yummy primal-ish baked goods till I feel I'm ready for them. I've been upping my carbs recently to include more starchy veggies/tubers after my workout, and eating them first before I dig into my steak. That has not triggered binging, result in residual hunger, etc.
    2) Don't attempt fasting until you have been doing primal for a while and feel comfortable with WOE. And when you do, start slow and work your way up. I tried for too long too quickly and led to binging the next day due to feeling of insatiable hunger.
    3) It's not the end of the world if you slip up and binge, or eat non-primal foods. Don't get obsessived about it, just pick yourself up and start over at the next meal. Don't get into the thinking, well the day's ruined anyways and then eat as much crap as you can. Big mistake for me.

I believe that being Primal will help tremendously as you start thinking of nurturing your body rather than stressing it trying to strive for some unrelenting (and unrealistic) vision of perfection. Do it slowly and steady.

excellent, excellent!

I, as well, try to keep my carbs around 50-75 for the same reasons. I also have to watch the nuts, can get crazy on those, then I'm guilt-tripping, then -- bam - I'm thinking and acting crazy and it happens so fast. Also agree with the fasting comment too.

Black-and-white and perfectionistic thinking is a big part of our problem, as I've noted from years of being in group therapy and OA meetings. I vividly remember a woman freaking the F out because she ate an extra banana. THIS is what makes us so unwell. Gotta let it go, man, as hard as it is.

Do you think my carb cravings will get worse in the first few days? They seem to be OK the first day but the next day I tend to get anxious and blow it on oatmeal or something.

syzchan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjara View Post
    Do you think my carb cravings will get worse in the first few days? They seem to be OK the first day but the next day I tend to get anxious and blow it on oatmeal or something.
    Your "craving" is more anxiety than carb withdrawl or carb-flu. I would suggest having some cooked lean protein or hard-boiled eggs around to eat when you have these moments of anxiety to help let it pass. I say lean only for these moments because it's hard to overeat on lean meats. For your meals, have fatty meats. The fat will help heal your brain, and that is what your anxiety is, symptoms of a damaged/malfunctioning brain.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I went through the "resolve to quit eating sugar/grains" and then blow it pattern so many times I can't remember them all. The only way I finally made it through was to have a full serving of protein with every meal, plenty plenty plenty of natural fats, and give myself permission to forget the messups and just focus on making the next meal another good one of fats, veggies, & plenty of good protein.

Hugs & love to you - you can do this. {{{hugs}}}
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    syzchan-- that is very very true. i think it is anxiety about "what will happen if i don't have carbs, energy, etc."! but the truth is, if i'm eating i'll be just fine.

thanks again mamagrok for the encouragement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12