Thread: Primal Journal for Michelle (username ruby) page 13

ruby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks chatty!!
    Michelle
    totally primal since 5/16/2010, 41 years old my journal
    240+/128/121 (I'm 5'3")

I am getting a personal trainer cert in about two months, and I am seriously considering doing NTP training in Hartford this fall. If I can find a way to pay for it, I think it would be ideal for me. As it is now, people who approach me about weight loss generally still feel they will do what "my doctor" says or what the latest diet book author to appear on Oprah says "six small meals a day!" rather than what I did, despite the fact that it obviously worked. I really want to get some credibility so I can effectively help other people take their health back as I did. Sadly, having done it isn't "cred" at all! The only exception is my Rolfer who was so inspired by the drastic changes in my muscles (I started seeing her right before I started; I suffered from fibromyalgia for decades; it is part of my disability diagnosis) that she has changed her diet and lifestyle similarly.

I got a turkey bosom in the crock pot, heading to TJs then the gym... oh my big news? Wait for it...,.

I am paleo-izng my kids finally!

My older daughter has been hospitalized THREE times for asthma, a week each time. I feel very strongly without wheat and dairy her asthma would hugely improve. My youngest is just very over-active and combative a lot and it's time I cut the lazy act and start feeding them the way I eat, with some laxity of course; they can have fruit carbs and nightshades and paleo "treats" and gluten free (almond and coconut flour) baked goods. I explained to my 10 year old (the one with severe asthma) that since she is OBSESSED with baking and sits in front of Cake Boss for hours at a time, that gluten-free baking is the new up and coming thing. I told her how celiac is on the rise and if she wants to be a baker, she should specialize in Paleo baking.

I'm going to start a paleo blog pretty soon! Also, look at my sweet new avatar from Chatty!
    Last edited by ruby; 04-17-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    Michelle
    240+/128/121 (I'm 5'3")

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget to update on the before/after thread - you get my vote for best avatar of the year!!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

The other day my husband complimented me on my "Iggy Pop arms" - I mean, I take that as a compliment! Three days of strength training in a row this week; schedule is all messed up but I'm goin to see how I do.
    Michelle
    240+/128/121 (I'm 5'3")

2004.jpg
    me a ways back, no idea what I weighed but it was around 240

may192012.jpg
    me two weeks ago, I have two kids now

It didn't take that long; I started two years ago lol. I'm so close to goal weight. Lifting weights a lot, my sleeves are getting tight again but at least its from rippling biceps and not flab. I just bought an adorable tie dyed dress for myself... from the children's department at Kohls. It's hard to believe two years ago only Lane Bryant in a 20/22 would fit me.

Oddly enough, people still doubt that this "paleo thing" works. I try not to take it personally.

edited to add: about a month ago I got Vibrams - I LOVE them! I run on Sundays now, with a friend. I'll never have another kind of training shoe. I also moved my dinner to between 3-5pm at the latest, so I am technically "fasting" every night until breakfast. I haven't had much trouble with this. I am totally off nuts, no more almonds or sunflower seeds or butters made from these. I do Yoga every day now, and have ramped up progress towards my teaching certification. Working hard on my flexibility - side and middle splits by August!
    Last edited by ruby; 12-11-2012 at 07:38 AM.
    Michelle
    240+/128/121 (I'm 5'3")

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Ruby - just came across your journal - you have made excellent progress and should be very proud of yourself! My reason for posting is to say, I too have fibromyalgia, but if I stay strictly primal in my eating I don't have any pain, very little fatigue and all the other annoying things seem to stay away also. Have you had this kind of response with your fibro junk?

You can find my journal at fibromyalgia and fat: Tomi's Story (I would do that little link thing, but I don't know how! maybe you could tell me! )
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    LOVE that picture!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    You look like your kids fun summer babysitter! Which I am sure you are fun, I just mean, that one cool teenager that you always remember.

Good for you. I am on the 100% goal myself. Thank you for inspiring me to keep at it and keep making tweaks to my woe! In 6 months I will posting a pic of me now and me under 200 lbs for sure!

I just realized I haven't updated in a long time. I think this is because primal/paleo has become SO ingrained as part of my life, that I hardly think about it. Both of my kids are now on a modified primal - no gluten, sugar, soy for them. I let them have a lot of safer starches though since they have both become quite thin since we got rid of gluten early last spring. I'm hard at work on two consecutive yoga teacher trainings, hours and hours a week of Yoga. Still walking 5-9 miles a day, two weighted workouts a week. I ran my first 5k race in September! I don't normally run though, not for excersize and I dont train at running but I had no trouble getting out of bed and running 3 miles. It just goes to show, walking for some of us, is enough training for road races.

I think I'm going to make a blog, but I am not sure. I do have some good recipes I'd like to share.
    Michelle
    240+/128/121 (I'm 5'3")

blissfull is offline Junior Member
    You look GREAT! I have a question for you regarding your veggie intake. I think I read that you eat green vegetables and
    protein, no grains, fruit etc. Does this mean you eat no other colored vegetables like sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots and
    others that are not "green"? I assume your bones are strong and you feel good I just worry that I would be missing out on
    some vital nutrient by not going with more variety. Are you taking any supplements or are you just doing what your body is
    telling you to do and reaping the rewards?
    Sometimes I just crave something citrus, are you past all that??
    I also think it is great that you are taking action on your children's health. We are working on a compromise in our home.
    So far we are agreeing on eating right here at home with some slack at school and in social situations.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast