Thread: Liquid smoke page

Tclack is offline Junior Member

Liquid smoke

Shop Now
    I have a question, and no, it's not whether or not liquid smoke is primal; we could debate on the subject all day.

Does anybody use it? Does it give meat that authentic BBQ flavor? It's not economical for me to light up the charcoal every night, so, If I saute a steak in a pan and add liquid smoke, will it taste the same or at least relatively close? I'm just trying to get rid of that boring meat taste. Spices alone just aren't doing it.

strom is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Although molasses has a very similar flavor. I have a bbq sauce recipe posted in the recipes section here, that uses liquid smoke and molasses.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I almost bought some the other day but I was a bit put off by the polysorbate 80. I'm looking into finding a more "natural" brand. Amazon perhaps.

Tclack is offline Junior Member
    Do you just put a little puddle of liquid smoke in the pan, then turn on the heat and start cooking from there? I don't know about the molasses, it's very much pure sugar.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it will, but use it sparingly. Liquid smoke, done right, has stumped panels of BBQ judges. Applied with a heavy hand it tastes like creosote.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tclack View Post
    Do you just put a little puddle of liquid smoke in the pan, then turn on the heat and start cooking from there? I don't know about the molasses, it's very much pure sugar.
    Molasses is actually what's left over after sugar is made, but I don't think it's what you're after. Saute up the steak like you normally would but drizzle a little smoke flavoring on about a min before you're going to pull the steak would be my suggestion for a first try. Another method is to lightly slather the liquid smoke on to the meat and let it marinate for a while before cooking, but that's usually for oven baked meat - no idea what effect it'd have on direct heat applications.

You never use a ton of liquid smoke like you wouldn't use a ton of wet hickory pieces for smoking. It will be too strong of a flavor. Molasses is one of main ingredients in BBQ sauces that I like, so a little goes a long way. I believe its also lower gi than normal sugar so its not much of a problem.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I put mine in a little spray bottle. You want to go easy with this stuff, as previously stated. Works awesome though.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    I put mine in a little spray bottle. You want to go easy with this stuff, as previously stated. Works awesome though.
    I was about to post the exact same thing. I actually use an empty chloraseptic bottle that was cleaned very well with white vinegar. Makes an excellent fine mist.