Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canola oil versus light olive oil page

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member

Canola oil versus light olive oil

Primal Fuel
    Which is worse? I'm reconsidering my egregious abuse of the trader joe's mayo, but I'd need to make my own to fill the void. No way am I going to eat mayo made with evoo, and I can't justify spending even more money on fancy oils, which pretty much leaves light olive oil. Is light/extra light olive oil still better than canola?

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Why won't you make it out of EVOO? You can get quality EVOO at fairly low prices these days. Light olive oil is like light coconut milk: worthless. Canola oil should not even be consumed.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Because it tastes ungood - I don't hate evoo, but I don't love it, and the few times I've made mayo/aioli with it, it's been way too strong for my liking. Sorry, I forgot to include that.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I presume she's referring to the strong flavor. Light olive oil is much more neutral. Not too many folks are fond of the taste of mayo made with a strong tasting olive oil.

I think some have used avocado oil.

I personally wouldn't worry about the pure olive oil unless the rest of your diet is already that pure.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member

I'm a dood, mang. I'll try the light olive oil - never bought the stuff before.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I've made mayo with light olive oil--and it's delicious. Once I didn't have any, so I tried my EVOO--it was dreadful (and I love olive oil). It gives the mayo a bitter taste.

Your best bet is the light olive oil--healthiest and delicious.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Yup, olive oil has a taste, and every olive grove taste different, like wine. I suggest you learn a little about evoo and find one you like because refined olive oil is not something suitable for consumption, or canola. said with a happy face.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

callherpetrol is offline Member
    i made mayo with extra virgin olive oil once and it tasted like straight up olive oil. not too good in my cole slaw or chicken salad

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OP: I would go with pure OO over canola.

I agree that EVOO is not good for mayo. Not only is it incredibly bitter, but it's a waste of the good stuff. Some people have reported success with making EVOO from warm bacon grease. I have tried it, and it was good when fresh, but became quite solid after storing in the fridge. I've made softer (more like regular) mayo with pure olive oil. I'm not sure if it's a "healthy" oil though. Yeah it's olive oil, but it's much more refined and processed and, possibly, higher in omega-6 than EVOO (from what I've heard). Which is my long-winded way of saying: I don't know if there is an "ideal" oil for making mayo. Maybe macadamia nut oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast