Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Foods You've Tried? page

jendoe is offline Senior Member

New Foods You've Tried?

Shop Now
    I find myself trying lots of new foods... some wonderful, some not so much.

- Mustard Greens - I really thought these would be amazing! Sauteed them up with a little garlic, but they were incredibly bitter (they tasted like bad medicine) - surely they're not supposed to eat them like that?

- I tried sea scallops for the first time last night! Did a ton of research on how to cook them, and tried searing them in butter with thyme, salt, pepper. Sounds good? The texture really, really didn't appeal to me at all... they felt so gelatinous, even after I cooked them.

On the other hand, so far I'm loving salmon (nope, had never had it before), almond butter is yummy, and my red ocra from the farmer's market is an interesting little salad addition! Oh, and chard, cooked right with olive oil and parmesan, is definitely worth doing again

So - what new things have you tried? And what did you think?

yogadaily is offline Senior Member
    that's funny, i had mustards yesterday and thought the same. my old remedy of maple syrup to take the sting out of mustard greens - no longer an option! so, brainstorming here, something a bit sweet...i have stevia plant growing out front. or maybe some lemon juice to change up the flavor?

since all meat is new, i'm trying to figure out how i like it cooked and how to cook it. red meat. i think i like the taste when its bloody but visually not sold.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Oh god, where to start-
    beef kidney- didn't care for it. I think I may not've cleaned it right, but it was nasty.
    beef heart- delicious. Eating beef heart taco salad for dinner.
    Homemade stock- droolworthy
    yellow squash- nice mild gateway squash
    almond meal- handy
    coconut flour- handy
    concoctions with egg- some good, some I wouldn't recommend
    coconut, walnut, sesame oils, lard- I love these fats
    Whipped heaven- DROOL!!!!!
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Re: issues with mustard greens-
    Tried sauteeing it with bacon or butter? I notice a slight peppery flavor, but no real bitterness.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

yogadaily is offline Senior Member
    Yum, nice reply, naidaknight! i'm zooming into some alternative at week 4...thank you...

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    @naiadknight: I agree that beef heart really is delicious; dense, chewy, and very flavorful. Beef liver is good too. Especially with caramelized onions.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    jendoe-

Try small scallops- they're waaaaay better. I think the big ones came into demand because of the American love of anything jumbo. Scallops have better texture and flavor when they're definitely small enough to pop into your mouth without having to slice.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Oxtail soup, my buddy who is a practices his gourmet cooking on me and other friends fed this to me and it was wicked good.

PS: Sea scallops are awesome raw, give it a try.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

syzchan is offline Member
    Scallops: love them! and I much prefer the large ones to the small ones (maybe cause grew up eating the big ones)
    Mustard Greens: haven't tried them yet, but I've heard they're good braised

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    Here goes...

Jicama
    Almond Flour
    Coconut Milk/Coconut Oil
    Almond Butter
    Hard Boiled Eggs (tried them when I was younger, thought I hated them - tastes change!)
    Avocado (had not eaten an avocado until 22, sad)
    Spaghetti Squash
    Canned Sardines
    Canned Herring

Really need to try beef heart, they're only $1.80 at my grocery store!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast