Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D: more factors to consider page

hazyjane is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D: more factors to consider

Primal Fuel
    This article certainly provides some food for thought and mentions a few things not usually addressed such as the role of K2 in relation to D.
    I don't have a personal opinion on this info (other than that D is very important and we can't assume being in the sun gives us enough unless we've been tested).
    Enjoy!
    http://thehealthyskeptic.org/the-rol...roid-disorders

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I am so sick of this guy misrepresenting, either accidentally or purposefully, the available data.

Oh that my day contained unlimited time to pick apart the crappy parts of his arguments though he's absolutely right that K2 and A play important roles.
    Last edited by cillakat; 08-04-2010 at 04:45 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I'd love to hear your input, when you have the time!

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    A lot of folks, both patients and medical professionals, have lived through the announcements of lots of miracle substances and nutrients that were supposed to transform health. Since few of these miracle substances have lived up to the claims when examined in the long term, or have turned out to have serious negative side effects, some cautious skepticism is in order.

It is interesting, though, that few of the failed "miracle substances" of the past would have survived initial scrutiny if viewed through what I'll call the "Paleo lens", i.e. scrutinized with regard to how they would have fit and functioned in human evolution and why they should work now when viewed through that lens.

It does not seem that in real human life, there are many "miracle substances." Though lots of people would like to sell us some.

Most real miracle substances turn out to have two qualifications: (1) the substance is a nutrient and modern humans are truly deficient in that nutrient; and (2) the substance is something that early man in East Africa or early evolving hunter-gatherers would have ingested or obtained in adequate amounts.

Magnesium meets these requirements. Modern man reportedly only obtains 45% of the minimum requirement from a Standard American Diet and Paleo man was estimated to have an intake of about 250% of the minimum. Modern conditions, stress, drugs, disorders cause magnesium levels to plummet and serum testing is all but useless to detect deficiency. So bringing intracellular levels of magnesium up to where they should be through supplementation with high quality and well absorbed supplements can produce results that seem miraculous.

Much of the same is true with supplementation with Omega 3 from animal sources.

Vitamin D passes the same two tests and seems primed along with magnesium and Omega 3 to assume the role of a truly important thing to get enough of.

There are some old and questionable studies raising concerns, which are mentioned in the article posted by hazyjane. Dr. John Cannell speaks to those articles on the Vitamin D Council site:

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/worst_science.shtml

As time goes on, we'll learn more in this debate. And thank you, hazyjane, from drawing our attention to possible negatives as well as positives. If D is as good as its proponents claim it is, it will ultimately survive the scrutiny. It may be that over time we will learn that sunlight produced D is superior in several ways to supplemented D, or that other similar products are produced by sunlight that aren't yet in supplements. We're learning about things like K2. And Dr. Cannell goes to some lengths on the importance of magnesium with Vitamin D.

Most of the negatives attributed to D have related to excess calcium levels in the blood. I suspect that K2 and especially magnesium would minimize such issues. But we need to follow this, all of it, and not just the D cheerleading squad, as things unfold. Meanwhile, I think just about everyone including the author of hazjane's link agrees that deficient D levels are the norm and they need to be brought up.
    Last edited by Paleo Man; 08-05-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    I am so sick of this guy misrepresenting, either accidentally or purposefully, the available data.
    I'm sure Chris wouldn't purposefully misrepresent anything. He's good people. I hope you find the time to address your issues with the article.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post

Oh that my day contained unlimited time to pick apart the crappy parts of his arguments though he's absolutely right that K2 and A play important roles.
    I've been following his posts on thyroid and e-mailing them to my mom because she has a thyroid disorder, low vit D levels, and other autoimmune issues. What do you think he is wrong about specifically?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Paleo Man did. The articles Chris brought up were just crappy science. PM, thanks so much for taking the time. I just. don't. have it right now.

I'm in MI, supposedly on vacation. 15 hours so far on a project for the homeschool group, then 30 emails regarding registration, 25 phone calls after I said 'no more emails', picked DH up at the airport, picked grandma up, went out for lunch, took her car shopping, dropped her at home, ran errands for her, came home, more hs group work, more grandma errands....

Right now I'm supposed to be getting read as we have dinner reservations at 7:30.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    I've been following his posts on thyroid and e-mailing them to my mom because she has a thyroid disorder, low vit D levels, and other autoimmune issues. What do you think he is wrong about specifically?
    Mom might be very interested in his link on the same site to his post on thyroid and gluten. A very large proportion of thyroid problems seem to relate to gluten and his website has some good info on the connection. Sometimes a very strict gluten free diet will stop the autoimmune destruction of the thyroid and help lower the risk of other autoimmune complications. See the link to Dr. Fine's essay in the thyroid and gluten article.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Paleo Man, I sent her that link already although she did try the GFCF diet for almost 3 months recently and it worked enough to reduce some pain and fatigue BUT then she stopped doing it! I don't know why. At the end of the post Chris recommends a GAPS diet to heal leaky gut syndrome which is way stricter than I believe she is willing to take on at the moment unfortunately. She also bought all those crappy GF replacement foods while she was doing the GFCF diet so I think that's why it didn't help as much as it could have. I'm just trying to get her back off gluten at the moment and to schedule time for sun midday but she is so busy. Thanks though.

Cillakat! you shouldn't even be on here on vacation. This forum can be a total time suck! so go enjoy, try to relax

Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    Thanks Paleo Man, I sent her that link already although she did try the GFCF diet for almost 3 months recently and it worked enough to reduce some pain and fatigue BUT then she stopped doing it! I don't know why. At the end of the post Chris recommends a GAPS diet to heal leaky gut syndrome which is way stricter than I believe she is willing to take on at the moment unfortunately. She also bought all those crappy GF replacement foods while she was doing the GFCF diet so I think that's why it didn't help as much as it could have. I'm just trying to get her back off gluten at the moment and to schedule time for sun midday but she is so busy. Thanks though.
    Too bad. Even a tiny amount of gluten every once in a while seems to be capable of preventing remission with autoimmune disorders, and recovery frequently requires avoidance of casein and other particular foods as well. Wheat apparently can also suppress vitamin D metabolism, so it appears that everything is connected. I'd just posted on autoimmune and gluten on an autoimmune thread.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...330#post176330
    Last edited by Paleo Man; 08-05-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast