Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it necessary to eat after exercising? page

robss is offline Senior Member

Is it necessary to eat after exercising?

Primal Fuel
    In order to build muscle

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    no, but it will allow you to build muscle faster.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    If that is your goal , then yes it is important ( but not necessary) to eat after your workouts. What is necessary is that you hit your daily macro's consistantly.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Primal K@ is offline Member
    I think it's really only necessary to eat when you're hungry. If you're hungry after your workout, then I'd say eat.

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    Depends on how often you train, and the intensity of your sessions. Glycogen uptake is highest after a high intensity training session, so to get in some carbohydrates post workout is important, as well as the protein for the recovery process. This is a time where your fat content should be low because sometimes the fat may block the absorption of carbohydrates into the muscles.

The main purpose of post workout fueling is to refuel the body for the next workout. It is important for muscle recovery (muscle building), so what/when you eat is important...but not as important as refueling the muscles with glycogen so that you are able to train effectively the next day. Another major factor is how you train. If you are not placing the proper stimulus on the muscles then they will not grow to the extent you want, but then there is the testosterone factor.

Answer is getting too long...

Is it important for recovery...yes.

Is it important for muscle growth...yes to an extent.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I have been hearing for the longest time that you have to have a pre-workout meal consisting of this or that, and that you have to have a post workout meal consisting of this or that. I am wondering if that's all CW legend/myth that we are just passing along. I notice my son, who is in his early 20's, just eats whenever, and he builds muscle just fine. He will usually make a protein drink with milk right after a workout, but works out on an empty stomach. In fact, I wonder if the whole need for all the extra protein is necessary at all. Do you really need 1g per bodyweight? There are a lot of people saying you don't, and to just eat what you feel like. Are we just saying you have to do this or that because it's true, or because we have been conditioned because of what we have been told all this time?

I think the protein supplement companies have promoted science that favors us consuming more of their product. It would be nice to know the truth about what is really needed, if anything at all, pre and post workout. Or is it as Primal K@ says, "I think it's really only necessary to eat when you're hungry."

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member
    I have successfully incorporated the post workout eating protocol since my powerlifting, bodybuilding days. There was a time when I stopped that for a certain period due to change in lifestyle. Once again I have added the postworkout feeding protocol since a week and I can already see a marked difference in my muscle fullness and recovery. I am a great believer in this strategy.

This is what I am currently doing ( works for me )

2 scoops of whey
    1 banana
    5-6 dates
    1-2 tsps of raw cacao powder
    1/2 cup of coconut milk
    1 scoop of greens
    Water/Ice
    Supplements

1 hour later

A nice juicy steak/Veggies

I might be adding creatine and BCAA in the mix in the near future once my training skyrockets.

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member

foodaddict is offline Member
    For muscle building I believe eating roughly 30-60 minutes after a workout is important. However, I dont believe eating carbs is necessary. Pro/Fat meal is completely fine as your body will still find ways to produce glucose even from non-carbohydrate sources.

If you are trying to get leaner, i'd eat a pro/fat meal 1-2hrs before a workout and fast following your workout. How long you want to fast is up to you. If I workout at night, ill fast until the next morning. Also, I wouldnt fast after every workout but maybe 1-2 times a week.
    Last edited by foodaddict; 08-08-2010 at 05:10 AM.

markalen001 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    You don't need to eat unnecessarily. If you get hungry only then you can eat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast