Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFFs -- advice on walking technique? page

Jenny is offline Senior Member

VFFs -- advice on walking technique?

We may be getting some VFFs this weekend. I've seen the advice and videos on running technique -- don't lead with the heel, try to move silently, build up slowly, etc.

But I'm wondering about just plain walking. Yeah, I need advice on how to walk! Don't people pretty much always lead with the heel when walking? But that's OK in this case since it's not like high-impact running? Or...

Without your advice I am sure the mere act of taking a stroll will break my precious porcelain feet, which have been spoiled by years of shoes, into little bitty pieces strewn all along the trails. SO tragic!

Seriously though, I'm sure we'll very much enjoy this. But I was just wondering if there were Top Secret Tips to keep in mind for us slowpokes.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Same idea, just slower.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    if you want good practice walking in vffs, just walk barefoot. walk barefoot on a bunch of different surfaces. ideally, you'll land in the mid-foot area, or on the balls of your feet. my wife and i both have vffs and she still lands on her heel...after a walk her feet will hurt and i will be ready for more. it definitely takes a little getting used to (adjusting to walking was harder for me than running) but if you are used to walking barefoot, you should be just fine.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I find changing my walk harder than changing my run as well. You take shorter steps and you're higher up when you're landing on the middle/balls of your feet as apposed the the heels. It makes me wonder if anyone one else can easily tell and how different it looks. I have my shoes off all day at work (unless I have the VFF on)(I just got them so, I've only done that once) and I've found that I can switch between walking styles at will but I'm a bit self conscious of walking on the middle/balls of my feet.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I've always been a barefooter since a kid, and I heel strike while I walk (though I don't while running). I have vibrams now and I still lead with my heel (but I don't get any feet pain from it either). Just walk in them and adjust based on how you feel. Good luck!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    shorter steps and it might also help if you let your back foot get further behind you before picking it up - this will help nudge you to a front of the foot strike (or at least it helped me)

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Interesting -- thanks, all. I do notice that I walk differently barefoot outside vs. inside, carpet vs. cement, grass, etc. I'll experiment and we'll see how it goes! Maybe it'll come naturally, we'll see.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Let me just add that on trails, my KSO treks are far far more comfortable than my Sprints...and have the added benefit of being leather and therefore having far fewer odor issues.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

adamj is offline Junior Member
    heels is fine. walking is much more low impact than running. landing on your forefoot and storing energy of the arch... all that business is using elastic energy during running. one of your feet is always on the ground when you walk, which makes that all somewhat less important. i spent weeks trying to adapt to a forefoot walk... but it felt unnatural, and empirically i deduced that perhaps it IS unnatural.

the key is not to over think it. your body will react and change to your conditions if you let it. when you run barefoot (really barefoot) on the concrete, you will land on your forefoot so that it doesn't hurt. walking is the same. walk barefoot along the sidewalk and you'll figure out what works best for you. vffs are great (i have six pairs) but they can muffle the information your body needs to make these calls. so i'd recommend you really barefoot it before you start relying on them too much (empirical again, i ran in them for months before i ever ran barefoot and i wish i'd done it the other way around).

have fun!

Iskander is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been barefoot walking for about a month. In the beginning, it felt weird stepping onto the front of my feet, but now it feels normal. I didn't really try heel striking when I walked, so I can't really comment on whether that will be bad for ya with the VFFs, but I personally like the forefoot walking. Don't see why you shouldn't be able to do it in VFFs while walking.
    "A man in this world without learning is as a beast of the field."

My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast