Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's a dumb question.. page 2

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Shop Now

I don't know of any BBQ sauce recipe that doesn't have sugar in some form in it. It not only sweetens, but if put on in final minutes (K.C. style) carmelizes for a different flavor. Many commercial sauces use HFCS. Sweetness is an essential part of the flavor of pulled pork.

Brown sugar is not used for color, if at all.

I have tried pulled pork with Low Sodium Dale's Marinade, very low in sugar, and stevia. Frankly, barely edible.

My latest jag on sauces is taking Korean BBQ sauce and reduce it until much thicker. Yum, yum. Yes, it has sugar in it. My take on BBQ sauces and the sugars they contain is that 1), I only eat this every two or three weeks, and 2) the amount of sugar on a small bit of ribs is very small, and 3) since the sugars are being consumed with lots of fat and other foods, there is essentially no insulin response out of the ordinary. Less than eating a piece of fruit, probably.

For the purists, I know that won't do. Otherwise, think of it as being in that 20% tolerance for "cheating." Probably more like 5%.

There may be "diabetic" sauces w/o the sugar, but I've not seen any. If I can locate some xanthum or other gum to thicken, I'm going to work on this.

Quinadal Guest

That's why I get them without sauce on them. They serve them dry or with sauce.

glorth2 is online now Senior Member

I smoke my own ribs. No way I would ever give up ribs. It's not that hard BTW.

Quinadal Guest

I'm tempted to buy one of this little smokers I see at Wal-mart for like $60. Would be nice to make my own smoked ribs, pork and chicken.

Elana Guest

I think you all are giving me a great idea for the recipe video contest! I have a great rib recipe, no sugar or smoker needed; just an oven and a grill to finish them. One tip for making a bbq sauce with a hint of sweetness is to use tomato paste or puree in the base. Tomatoes are a naturally sweet fruit and caramelize nicely over some hot charcoal.

LMG,

I can't imagine something like that doing the job. I'm good friends with a professional BBQer and when I asked him about making my own smoker he told me to get a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. It was $200 but it does a great job, is easy and reliable. I highly recommend it.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

There's a difference between the use of a smoker and getting smoked flavor into meats as they cook.

A good old fashioned Weber kettle does either, just fine, thank you very much. It's not rocket science. It's all in technique. I can even get good results with my cheap-o $20 tiny grill. Again, all in the techniques.

The absolute, very best site for all things outdoor cooking is www.amazingribs.com . You can spend many, many hours there (I have!) reading up on each topic.

There are a lot of good woods for smoking, of course. But after lots of experimentation, I've settle on apple wood. And here's the good news if you live where crab apple trees grow: it's exactly the same as the fruit wood!

Mesquite? It's a weed wood and a weed smoke. I guess if I lived where it grew and I had nothing else, I'd use it. But it has a weird off flavor.

PrimalCon New York

Agreed on the mesquite. I use apple, hickory or both.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12