Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad about SAD page

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member

Sad about SAD

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One thing I'm discovering with this is that ignorance is bliss.

I never used to get sad going to Safeway and realizing that 90% of the food in there will make your life worse.

I am fully amazed at how few things I can really buy at the chain grocery stores.

I had to do a grocery run early this morning for a few things to add to the chuck roast in the crock pot, and I kept thinking about the people who are suffering thanks to Food, Inc.

Sucks.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I hear you. Having done other healthy diets for many years, I am not shocked by what's in grocery stores. But I am sad when I see people, especially kids, who could be so much healthier if they ate right.

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    It does stink. I teach, and since it's summer, I have been helping people out with childcare. These people are very health conscious, and the infuriating part is that they are feeding their kids what CW says is "healthy" and they think that they are doing the right thing by avoiding the day-glo jello and the rest of the ilk. I mix up a lot of bunny mac and cheese and frozen pizzas with whole-grain crust. It kind of makes me nuts.
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

yogadaily is offline Senior Member
    Feeling the same but curious how to make change without being too "out there". As a parent, I grow food with children at our school but our snacks in the classroom are resoundingly carbs...

How to create change without alienating?

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    I think it's coming. It's just gradual. I went to Italy this summer, and they had gluten-free menus (or were knowledgeable about eating gluten-free) pretty much everywhere. My husband, who has been supportive (but dubious) decided to eat the way I did, and ended up losing 7 lbs. while on vacation in Italy. He's ecstatic.

I toe the line at school: I don't feel comfortable telling people how they should eat or feed their kids. My only meddling: if they want seconds, I steer them towards apple slices or a cheese stick rather than the goldfish crackers. In a school setting, I am noticing lots more fruit/veggie plates or cheese and cold-cut trays than the cupcakes with the Crisco icing on the top. People want the best for their kids, and I suspect that's where the change is going to start for a lot of people.

I do sort of take advantage of the fact that kids like to help and experiment, and I try to set a good example. I always take my own "special" snacks when I am at school or someone's house: usually veggies with guacamole, beef jerky, what-have you. I got a text message from a parent, who is delighted that her 6 year old son will now eat zucchini. (I couldn't bear the thought of just mixing up another batch of bunny pasta, so I liberated some squash from their fridge, scored grooves in the outside with a fork to make it "exciting" and sauteed it in butter.)

I have had children ask me why I don't eat cookies, and try to explain why in terms that they can understand: "because cookies hurt my tummy" not what they would normally hear, which is evidently "cookies make you fat." I have heard that parroted at me by kids about everything under the sun: which kind of makes me sad. I usually will say something like "Well, too many cookies or too much ice cream can make you fat. But that's why those things are special treats. Once in awhile is okay."

It is disheartening to walk down the store aisles and wonder how much lobbying the people who grow potatoes have to do to get it classified as a vegetable. It's infuriating to watch those commercials for corn syrup that imply you're a paranoid dingus if you pay any attention to what science is saying about the stuff. It's actually galling to pick up a bag of frozen veggies, and realize that they have been dusted with starch, that they've enhanced your organic heavy cream with thickeners, that lots of things you'd assume are natural and okay are processed within an inch of their lives when you read the label.
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Thank you for your thoughtful reply...many of these items on my plate as we start the new school year. I feel like I've sold out for a few years and so I have a bit of anxiety about heading in and setting a pace. I chair the "sustainability committee" and my plate runs over but food is my basic, primal interest and I'm planning to stay on task this year.

Your input is appreciated!

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    I hear you on trying to think of ways to bring about change without being alienating. I guess I know that I can make sure me and my family eat truly healthy and not processed... and if I refuse to buy processed food, that does do something, albeit a tiny something.

But something. So thats good.

Plus its not my job to change the world... just my house... and that still influences people even without words.

A close friend of mine gave up wheat and sugar entirely 5 years ago... she never once told me to do it or talked about it much... just kindly answered questions.

When i was ready to give up wheat and sugar (finding PB!)... knowing she did it and hadn't eaten any in 5 years made me think I could do it.

I have to remember that. Just doing it yourself and giving up the processed food, inc. stuff will influence the people who are ready to hear it and try it.

thanks...nice words to live by...

Russ is offline Senior Member
    it makes shopping quicker! Deli -> produce - > meat section - > checkout

DONE

...and way cheaper without all of the processed @!%&*!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast