Thread: Fasting and BF...Why the increase of BF?? page

David is offline Senior Member

Fasting and BF...Why the increase of BF??

Shop Now
    I beleive my BF has increased this past month and I'm fasting! Eating may not enough calories, probably. Cals. are around 1500 to 2000 a day. I am curious how come the increase of BF? Love handles and stomach BF are the areas. Any ideas?
    Looking for advice to determine if I should continue fasting!
    Here's some bio:
    I fast for 16 to 19 hours. Eat first meal around noon. Eat two or three times a day. Eat approx. 110 to 130g of protein, 40g to 70g carbs, and 110g to 140g of good fat. Eat Paleo/PB. Consume between 1500 and 2000 cals. a week. Started to lift weights last week and crossfit 2x to 3x a week. 57 years young (i throw age in to consider suggestions based on ability to build muscle), 156 lbs. (gained 3-4 lbs. past month), 6 feet tall.

Trying to gain muscle lost to atrophy. Always been active. Too soon to ell if I'm stronger from weight lifting. Haven't gotten stronger with crossfit (can't do pull ups because of tendinitis in elbow so I struggle with certain upper body lifts maybe preventing increase in upper body strength). Lower body strength has no noticable strength increase either.

Clint is offline Senior Member
    My first question is how do you know your BF levels have increased?

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    156 AND 6 FEET TALL IS not very high, maybe you needed to gain

not to mention you asked this same question in the other IF thread... and i gave you this response

Originally Posted by David
    I beleive my BF has increased this past month and I'm fasting! Eating may not enough calories, probably. Cals. are around 1500 to 1900 a day. I am curious how come the increase of BF? Love handles and stomach BF are the areas. Any ideas?

Malpaz
    my uneducated but probably wise opinion(lol) is that you have a damaged metabolism...IF will only make that worse and your body will hold onto whatever you give it. this is especially true considering you BF and gain is in your love handles. i recommend you stop IF immediately and start eating throughout the day....get fixed and maybe try IF ...ONCE a week

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you need to increase your muscle mass first considering your 6' and 156lbs and complaining of excess fat..........it's called skinny fat, just a thought.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

kmac is offline Member
    "trying to gain muscle lost to atrophy" .... " 1500-2000 kcal a day... I fast for 16-19 hours..."

ok man... (im a certified physiologist)... your 57 years young wont stop you from gaining that much, maybe 50% harder then a younger you, BUT your intake and crossfit regimen WILL stop you from gaining.

you are indeed skinny fat. easy fix, LIFT HEAVY WEIGHTS, squat, press, deadlift and clean 3 times a week, (this will stimulate muscle, but as a bonus increase testosterone being released) on top of that take what your eating now... TRIPLE it. your not going to gain nothing on 1500 kcal a day. all you did was break your metabolism. your BMR is arround 1600kcal, this is not counting activity.

smarten up, eat more, lift heavy, problem solved. stop being an anorexic old fart. if your cant wrap your head arround it go talk to Mark Rippetoe, he will set you straight.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Even with all the disagreements on what to eat, when to eat, or how much to eat; I've never heard any disagreement that putting on muscle requires 2 things: lifting heavy -- progressing w/ strength; and consuming adequate protein. The key is to eat enough (probably a lot more than you are) so that you feel energetic for these workouts, and emphasize high quality protein for muscle building.

RednGreen is offline Member
    Take it easy on him MalPaz, on the the other IF thread that David posted his question, another poster asked him to start a new thread:

>>I suggest posting a thread with as much information about yourself and your diet and lifestyle as you can to get the best possible answers, then you will be all set and can continue with IF and see progress. <<
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

Quote Originally Posted by RednGreen View Post
    Take it easy on him MalPaz, on the the other IF thread that David posted his question, another poster asked him to start a new thread:

>>I suggest posting a thread with as much information about yourself and your diet and lifestyle as you can to get the best possible answers, then you will be all set and can continue with IF and see progress. <<
    my bad! haha at least i didnt say lift heavy old fart like SOMEONE!!! lol

RednGreen is offline Member
    lol
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly