Thread: Workout in AM, eat in PM page

Rebekah is offline Junior Member

Workout in AM, eat in PM

Primal Fuel
    Lately, I've been working out (lift heavy 3x week/sprint 1x) in the morning, usually around 6:00am. Due to time constraints, I often skip breakfast and go straight to work. No lunch, as I never liked lunch anyhow. I get home around 6:00pm or so, and make dinner, which is my meal for the day. (Sometimes it turns into two meals, an hour apart.)

Is it necessary to eat after you workout? Am I preventing myself from making gains in strength by not eating post-workout? Martin from Leangains has an "early morning fasted protocol," but it looks like he recommends eating by noon or so.

Any thoughts?

Rebekah is offline Junior Member
    Le bump.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Nah. Hell, some people will train (like you do) in the midst of a full 24-hour fast, not eat for 12 hours (or more), and still be absolutely fine in making strength gains.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I think the research on workout nutrition is abundant and the conclusion can be drawn that it's beneficial for you to consume nutrients post-workout. Martin's protocol is much different, in that even if you're working out at 6am, you're using BCAAs pre/post, and every 2 hours until you eat.

In my opinion it would be beneficial to you to consume something sooner than 12 hours after a workout.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com