Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Lunch for Kids page

primalmom is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I wanted to post an example of my kid's school lunch menu - here is what they get to choose from on Mondays

A Cheeseburger

B Macaroni and Cheese / Warm Roll

C Smiley Face Sandwich (Bagel / Cream Cheese / Ham)

D Garden Salad / Cheese / Breadstick

E Critter Bag (this is a paperbag with a Crustable PBJ" sandwhich, chips, and a cookie)

* they get a drink with lunch - choice of LF milk, choc milk, water, or lemonade ...

* they can also get a "SNACK" .. this could be a piece of fruit, a cookie, or ICE CREAM !!! .....

OMG ... and there is no "input" from the school on choices - my son is going into 4th grade ... HOLY CRAP !!!!

Soo ... my kid will be taking his lunch every day - he took most of the time last year and before but now it's gonna be all the time - so uncool !

Any ideas for good stuff to pack ?? He is very flexible about food and likes most stuff and is not wedded to the sandwich idea !

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

Mick Guest

[quote]

I wanted to post an example of my kid's school lunch menu - here is what they get to choose from on Mondays
    </blockquote>

Yeah, that is interesting.
    [quote]

A Cheeseburger
    </blockquote>

MSG in the hamburger? Processed pre-sliced cheese for sure ... mass-catering, white, quick-rise bread
    [quote]

B Macaroni and Cheese / Warm Roll
    </blockquote>

Possibly better cheese but still not good cheese ... and lots of refined cereals.
    [quote]

C Smiley Face Sandwich (Bagel / Cream Cheese / Ham)
    </blockquote>

Do I begin to see a pattern here? I guess the ham will be processed ham and loaded with nitrates, possibly sugar, too.
    [quote]

D Garden Salad / Cheese / Breadstick
    </blockquote>

See option B and add some salad. Either no dressing or a fake low-fat dressing made from water, soya oil, and glucose, etc.
    [quote]

E Critter Bag (this is a paperbag with a Crustable PBJ" sandwhich, chips, and a cookie)
    </blockquote>

Why would anyone feed that to a creature?
    [quote]

* they get a drink with lunch - choice of LF milk, choc milk, water, or lemonade ...
    </blockquote>

Low-fat for children. That&#39;s almost a crime.

Even dieticians who accept the "lipid hypothesis" don&#39;t recommend low-fat foods for children.

Quote:
    [quote]

DOCTORS fear that health- conscious parents are starving their children by insisting on low-fat ... foods; and as many as one in 20 young children now admitted to hospital are malnourished.
    </blockquote>

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/mueslibelt-kids-face-the-threat-of-starvation-1160104.html
    [quote]

* they can also get a "SNACK" .. this could be a piece of fruit, a cookie, or ICE CREAM !!! .....
    </blockquote>

So more refined cereal and sugar. As for that "ice cream" - which will again be loaded with sugar and which probably never saw much cream, what might lurk in that? It seems the Chinese are shipping out animal feed that&#39;s got melamine in it. If that combines with cyanuric caid (found in bleach, for example), the result is plastic kidney stones.
    [quote]

China and other countries like Canada and the U.S. have reported melamine contamination of milk-containing products, including infant formula, commercially sold milk, frozen yogurt dessert, coffee creamer, ice-cream, chocolate, toffees, cookies and candies.
    </blockquote>

http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au/articles/deceptive-protein-toxin-is-becoming-more-widespread-in-your-food

One should avoid panicking about these things, but still and all ...

The basic problem: cost-cutting, viewing anything and everything through the lens of lowest unit cost. Only about two or three decades ago, the school my mother taught at had its own canteen, and everything was made fresh on the premises. It may not have been highly nutritious food by really stringent standards, but it was made from fresh ingredients by knowledgeable cooks and made on site. Some of the meat was even sourced locally: they had an arrangement with a local chicken farm.

The county fired most of the staff. Now the food&#39;s bought in bulk at lowest tender, pre-cooked, brought in from outside and warmed up. The nutritional value of it must have fallen through the floor.

Same story across many areas. The same site I found the melamine story on has a story about Australia in the fifities. All the baking was done by real bakers, and the bread was given time to ferment properly - several hours - so that it was more digestible. Then wealthy foreign interests moved in:
    [quote]

During the 50ís, the US-based bakery giant Tip Top came to Brisbane, and started to buy up all the small bakeries it could; other giants competed with them, meaning that in very quick time we had only 2 or 3 bakers in the entire city, ditto in all parts of Australia.
    </blockquote>

The result?
    [quote]

One of the very first actions these corporate bakers were to take was to introduce the fast loaf (3 hours from start to finish), effectively eliminating the need for half, or one entire shift, of their labour force.
    </blockquote>

And then people talk about unemployment. So costs are shaved by laying people off and by buying in inferior ingredients. Someone makes a lot of money of that; everyone else&#39;s health suffers.

Vegetable crudites are nice in a lunchbox. If it&#39;s not too warm, a length of celery stick makes a nice way to carry a piece of butter to keep one&#39;s animal-fat intake up.

Salads you can take, but they go soggy if they&#39;re dressed, and a child would probably not want to carry a separate jar of dressing.

Cold meat is an obvious option. I&#39;ve found that if I have to buy it pre-packaged the Italian air-dried ham is one of the few cured meats that doesn&#39;t have a lot of additives, sweeteners, and nitrates - just pork and salt.

Hard-boiled eggs are another.

Personally, I&#39;d happily take a piece of long-fermented sourdough bread and eat it with a piece of raw cheese, although I&#39;d avoid most commercial bread. Of course, a lot of people here avoid bread completely, but there&#39;s bread and there&#39;s bread, and Weston Price&#39;s Swiss seem to have maintained superb health on the right sort.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Definitely veggie sticks, like carrots or celery, and nut butter (my favorite is almond butter!). Or an apple and almond butter (it&#39;s definitely better than dessert...) I loved beef jerky as a child, my mom used to make it in a dehydrator for us.

The hard boiled eggs are a great idea too.

What about soup in a thermos? That would be great when fall comes around. I like to roast a whole chicken, then chop up all the meat together so the dark fatty meat is mixed in with the lighter leaner meat. Then add all kinds of yummy vegetables for awesome soup!

We always liked cold chicken too, you could send him off with leftover chicken legs which have much more fat than breasts.

Thinly sliced flank steak is wonderful cold as well, and could be packed easily.

I don&#39;t have to deal with this yet, but I expect to have to make lunches every day as well. I had a packed lunch for all of elementary school, and only got to buy lunch occassionally. I hope at least one or two of those ideas are helpful!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

SullynNH Guest

You should check out this site &#39;Two Angry Moms&#39; about two mothers who got fed up with poor food choices for our kids...they have a movie about there fight

http://www.angrymoms.org/

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I pack my lunch daily for work in a mini-cooler. Here are some things that stay very stable:

1. Soup in a thermos

2. Ants on a log

3. Nut butter & apple slices

4. Small pieces of Cheese

5. Homemade &#39;gorp&#39; or nuts

6. Salads (info at bottom on best containers)

7. Lettuce wraps

8. Leftovers

9. Jerky

10. Carrots & zucchini hummus (or baba ghanouj)

11. Fruit / veggies

Currently I use Fit & Fresh containers

http://www.fit-fresh.com/

I also use Snapware, pyrex glass bowls w/lids, and my trusty mini-Thermos.

The fit and fresh salad shakers aren&#39;t the best construction, but allow for dressing to be in a top compartment, separate of the salad - you can pop it open, then shake the container. It works really well. The containers also have a built in ice ring which can snap in or out.

They also make a handy divided container that you can put dip in the middle and have veggies, meats, cheese, what have you, on the side. It&#39;s sort of like a Bento box.

For all other stuff, I like the Snapware containers. They seal well and can be stacked in the cupboard. I use Pyrex for anything requiring heating.

wow, this is all great stuff !!

@hannah and mrd- thanks for all the ideas

@Sully - love that link to Two Angry Moms !

@mick - you got it - it is all foul, lowest-common-denominator stuff ... and no one else really seems to see a problem with it !! The dairy that supplies the ice cream and milk has its cooler in the cafeteria with the name emblazoned across the side LOL !!! The best that can be said for them is that they are local - but nothing else !

PrimalMom

SullynNH Guest

Guess I would be in the angry dad category...but have you gone to your kids school to see what the food looks like? I re-read the menu from June...ugh its a battle for sure!

yeah, I go and have lunch with him occasionally ... generally on Friday, which is Pizza Day - LOL - they are all eating slices of pepperoni pizza that has been brought in from a chain - drinking lemonade or chocolate milk - and eating ice cream .. sometimes they just have a few bites of pizza and move on to mainlining the sugar ... It makes my skin crawl !!!!

The "garden salad" comes in a styro box - it is mostly iceberg, with the usual plastic-y tomato wedge and ubiquitous white sludge (aka, Ranch) - oh, and cheese dust and croutons !

PrimalMom

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

Sounds like my high school lunches. Cardboard-like with an ala carte window that would make a dietitian faint.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

omg ... check this out ! ... this would be me .. note that she is from Atlanta, even though she lives in NYC ... maybe all us Atl moms are thinking alike LOL !

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/ny...city.html?_r=1

PrimalMom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast