Thread: Likelihood of becoming obese 'set by brain cells in the womb' page

stevehtcyl is offline Member

Likelihood of becoming obese 'set by brain cells in the womb'

Primal Fuel
    http://news.scotsman.com/health/Like...set.6452943.jp

OBESITY is fixed in the developing brains of babies before they are born, according to a new study.
    Researchers found that certain cells in the brain were able to control when someone felt full and also when to direct the body to start burning calories.
    Oh great a fantastically poor attempt at trying to explain an obvious problem!

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    What is the obvious problem? It's not "grains." For some people there is a serious, deep seated psychological issue surrounding food that borders on addiction.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about the "set in the womb" part.

But it's true that it's not all grains, or at least not just grains alone. A lot of people eat a SAD diet, and they just stop eating when full. There's two jelly beans left, and they leave them 'cause they're full. To others of us, that's almost a totally foreign experience.

There might be all sorts of factors that go into that. But I don't think it's entirely nonneurological.
    Last edited by avocado; 08-04-2010 at 07:36 AM.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    I don't know about the "set in the womb" part.

But it's true that it's not all grains, and not just grains alone. A lot of people eat a SAD diet, and they just stop eating when full. There's two jelly beans left, and they leave them 'cause they're full. To others of us, that's almost a totally foreign experience.

There might be all sorts of factors that go into that. But I don't think it's entirely nonneurological.
    My fiance grew up having to be a member of the "clean plate club." My parents let me stop when I was ready to (as long as I ate a reasonable percentage of my vegetables). This is something that really shows when he and I are trying to clean up our diets. And I think it's one of the reasons he's gone back to nutrisystem

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. I was hoping that article would actually say what they did to the rats in utero to make them predisposed to obesity. Being pregnant, I do like to think that the choices I make with diet and exercise now will make it easier for my child to stay healthy when they are older. I definitely believe that many important things about our development in the womb are directly impacted by the mother's nutrition both before and during pregnancy and while breastfeeding, I don't see why a predisposition to obesity couldn't be one of them. If we eat transfats the baby eats transfats. Too much sugar? Baby gets that too.
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sugar is a very addictive substance (DRUG) so it makes sense that the sugar addiction lingers into the child. Sugar has nasty withdrawals as well which most mistake as hunger. Try and fast or go zero carb after eating a week of high carb and you'll see what I mean.