Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coconut oil and other anti-inflamitory foods page

moonablaze is offline Senior Member

coconut oil and other anti-inflamitory foods

Primal Fuel
    I'm getting back off gluten after a sort of elimination challenge (to test for intolerance/celiac). I had a VERY strong reaction and will not be doing that again. I'd like to try to do everything I can to encourage healing and bring my inflammation level back down. I have a jar of coconut oil and I cook chicken or veggie curry in it from time to time, but I'd like to incorporate more of it into my diet. I've tried taking a spoonful but it just made me gag horribly and nearly puke. I heard once that you could put it in smoothies but it just solidified into a bunch of pellets which gave me a similar reaction to the spoonful. If you're like me and can't just swallow it, how do you get coconut oil into your diet? do you eat any other foods particularly for their anti-inflammatory properties? (I do take fish oil capsules daily)

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the taking it off the spoon business - quite horrible. I use about a tablespoon and make an omelette every day with it and also use it for primal pancakes.
    I also whip up cold coconut cream into a sort of mousse which contains a fair amount of oil and then mix with cocoa powder, vanilla and a touch of honey and keep that in the fridge and just eat it by the spoonful when hungry.

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member
    The way i got coconut oil to into my smoothies without the little oil pellets i started using a blender, you could probably use a food a processor the same way if you have one but i just let my blender run with the top part open to pour stuff in and just make sure the oil is pretty warm it blends in fine everytime for me. but on a side note if your gonna store the smoothie for awhile the coconut oil will probably settle again into a blob happened once when i tried to take one to work. but other than that i have no problem with putting it into my protein shakes that way as long as i drink them within an hour or so. I heard some people like it in their coffee but i would advise against it if the cold oil almost made you puke hot oily coconut coffee was not tasty at all for me.

syzchan is offline Member
    Try melting some high cocoa chocolate or cocoa powder in it and then chilling it. It feels like a truffle in your mouth and the cocoa takes away much of the coconut taste

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Have you considered that if it makes you want to puke, it might not be a good food for you? Maybe start with coconut milk instead of pure oil, or if you feel the need to incorporate straight oil into your diet, start with a very small serving and build up. I think most people who want to eat coconut oil and can't stomach it straight just cook with it TBH.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    When I first bought coconut oil, it was still mildly cool(ish) here in Vegas. So the coconut oil was solid and I was really grossed out by the idea of eating a lard-like consistency. But then it warmed up here, and the oil stays liquid. I love eating it that way. I won't slurp down a whole spoon, but just dip a spoon in it and lick that! And I am one of those folks who likes a spoonful in their coffee. Gross to look at, yummy to taste.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I simply do not understand the drive to add coconut oil by the spoonful. Why not use the whole food (coconut milk) instead?

I'll use fat as needed to cook and lend mouthfeel and flavor but overall, adding extra/free/separate fat to my diet is not a goal. Eating the fat as it occurs in whole foods (plant and animal) is.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Why not use the whole food (coconut milk) instead?
    Another whole food option is coconut cream concentrate. It's VERY tasty and still about 70% oil.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    Try different brands. I just got me some Tropical Traditions Gold Label and it makes a ton of difference over, for instance, the Whole Foods brand. I do enjoy it in my coffe (I didn't with the other brand). I also melt it and stir it into my yogurt and/or cottage cheese. When I was a toast-eater (hangs head in shame) I used it instead of butter. I, too am looking for suggestions on how to get more into my diet. Love the cocoa idea. I'll give that a try.
    Last edited by primalpatty; 08-04-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: dyslexic-inspired typo

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    We just aren't used to feeling oil slide down our throats. Just force it and after the 4th or 5th time you will actually enjoy it. I don't have any problems with it but then again I used to chug olive oil to help gain weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast