Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intense training and IF?????? page

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member

Intense training and IF??????

what if you lift weights 5 days and sprint 3-4 days per week? I am an assistant strength coach at a college and need to be working out this much. My lifts are fairly short and to the point but I would love to try IF to lose the extra fat. I basically lift for one hour 5 days per week and then sprint either 12 hrs later or 12 hrs b4 a lift. What would be a good schedule for IF? trying to lose BF.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Martin and Brad seem to do great for themselves and their followers.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    This is some serious training. I did it myself and failed to lose the last few percentages of BF. The stress that much sprints already puts on your system would be enough to increase cortisol levels and halt your fat loss. IF would just be another stress added to that.

Maybe try cut down on the sprints. Instead adding some slow steady state cardio with a sprint once a week or so. Then play with the IF.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, since your training has no significant, long metabolic conditioning, adding in an IF doesnt seem all that unrealistic. So you lift and sprint? thats pretty much perfect in my opinion. IF + lifting and long metcon beatdowns or long intense cardio = not so perfect. Your training doesnt seem to be a stressor at all. But, the fact that you are lifting 5 days our of the week is going to mean you are going to need suffucient glycogen repletion on a regular basis., and you better be DAMN sure youre fueling your body properly during your feeding windows.

give us your training schedule. when are you lifting? when are you sprinting? lets say you lift in the AM........anywhere from 6-8 am - Martin from leangains recommends starting the fast after dinner the previous night...lets say 9 pm.....and lifting in a semi fasted state. He recommends using a BCAA supp, which is just an amino acid profile, that protects your muscles from being cannabalized without actually ingesting food. Ive used the purple wraath brand (google it) and I really like lifting on it.

So around noon would be 15 hours, if counting on my fingers is correct. thats a pretty good amount of time, and honestly, with your lifting being 5 out of 7 days and sprinting pretty regularly, this is a good baseline to start out with. You can play around with the time you actually break the fast depending on when you lift, etc. Your first post-workout meal should ALWAYS have a protein and carb like a yam or sweet potato, OR shit loads of veggies, as your muscle glycogen is needing to be relishished and muscle growth fueled. Fruit carbs preferentialy fill liver glycogen, not muscle, glycogen, so they are inferior post workout carbs...except berries ......but thats a shit load of berries(and sugar)! THe rest of the day should emphasize fat and more protein.

I cant think of anything else, this really is going to depend on your preferred training schedule. I would try to construct it so that youre not lifting to0 far into the fast........semi-fasted lifting (8-12 hours) with a BCAA is worlds better than lifting after 12 hours fasted. the 12 hour mark seems to be the cut-off for succesful fasted lifting, in my opinion, and you might not see any muscle gains lifting that far into the fast.
    Last edited by lmyers04; 08-04-2010 at 05:15 AM.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    also, I highly recommend checking out martin's leangains blog. He has a lot of different examples of IF schedules you could do

Thank you for the extended reply. my schedule is normally as follows:
    8 a.m.: 4 eggs, 4 slices uncured nitrate free bacon, coffee w/coconut milk and lg cup of H20
    11 a.m.: 10x100yard sprints (4 days per week) occasionally 3 mile run on local bridge instead @ 80% max HR
    immediately after cardio: 1 scoop whey w/ coconut milk and frozen mixed berries
    5:15 p.m.: (5 days per week)1 hour lifting session fairly intense, heavy and weight with a lot of core work but different all of the time
    7-8 p.m.: large grilled chicken breast or piece of fish with half plate of broccoli or grilled eggplant with olive oil

I am constantly around college athletes and I am 27, so the working out seems like a lot but it is also my career path. I run a lot of sprints because they are running sprints and I love to join them. It keeps me in shape and also earns respect from my athletes which in turn motivates them not to let their OLD coach beat them....

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Personally as someone who exercises a -lot- the IF'ing thing made me feel like shit and perform like shit. I don't recommend it based purely on my own personal experience. If I was only doing it three times a week I am sure the IF would be fantastic, but for more than that I really think it's not the best idea.

Nasno is offline Senior Member
    I run/simplefit 5 days a week, lift 3 days a week, and do MMA twice a week. No issues with regular 14 to 16 hours IFs.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    do you eat immediately post workout or wait?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast