Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Even my husband gets it! page

BareFootForward is offline Junior Member

Even my husband gets it!

Shop Now
    I've been trying to build up my list of local resources for PB stuff. Most notably, I can't find coconut oil ANYWHERE. I found a new "health food" store and, even though they are grain heaven, I figured maybe this one would have the oil. So I drag my husband, who is very NOT PB, out. (He is VERY Italian, and can't leave the pasta alone -- although he's started eating it at lunch, when I'm not home!)

Oh.... my.... gods.

The ENTIRE store was grains. Every... single.... thing. Grains and vitamins and overly processed "organic, healthy" snacks. There was not a single piece of meat, not a single bottle of ANY kind of oil -- not even olive oil! The only thing, besides bins of grains, extra-grainy bread, bags of multigrain chips, were vitamins.

We left, aghast, and my husband was laughing on the way to the car. "Mark Sisson would have a stroke going in there!" Then he calmed down and said, actually very seriously, "It smelled like grains and death in there."

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    hahaha... what kind of weird place was that!?!

BareFootForward is offline Junior Member
    It was... bland, and colorless. I mean, I know that most health food stores pay homage to the grain gods, but they usually also stock other things. Almond milk, soy products, oils, meats, yogurt, tofu... whether or not those things are good for you, for real, they're carried! They usually have peanut butter cookies made just from peanuts and no-animal-testing beauty products. Cans of organic beans. But there was not a single thing at this place that wasn't GRAINS, except the dried (and overly sugared) fruit, which I wouldn't eat because I was sure they were coated in grain dust :P

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    ewwwww... your hubby was right... lol

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Yes, some health food stores are just no-go zones. Mine is slowly phasing out the less-processed full fat options and phasing in low fat heavily processed. They just gave over a section of the veggies to a little "juice counter".

Have you looked at Amazon's selection of coconut products? I've bought my coconut stuff online and been very happy with it.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I wonder if the people who shop at those places are "away with the fairies" as they say in Ireland. Would fit - where would the little people go but the elf food shop?

Anyway, Health Food Store is a misnomer, isn't it? Health Food places don't sell healthy food: they just sell whatever anyone believes is healthy. I know of one - one - that sells fresh (and probably not all that fresh, since most are imports) organic vegetables. Most sell dry goods, which in practice often means lots of lectin-containing foods, and hundreds of bottles of pills and potions.

The one that does actually sell some vegetables and fruit is actually weirder than most. It runs a vegan cafe as a sideline. It once had a leaflet that I've seen ridiculed by a medical doctor that said something like "the Vietnamese [sic] beat the steak-fed Americans on parched rice and a handful of ginseng". Now (1) that war was probably a bad idea, but that doesn't make the NVA/Viet Cong a good thing; (2) the flow of Chinese weapons down the Ho Chi Minh Trail helped a lot more than ginseng (if there ever was much of that around); (3) the VC were not vegans and used to eat rat if they could get no other meat; and (4) the Vietnamese diet is so lacking that most children don't get the nutrients they need and grow up stunted, and the government over there is really worried about it, as it should be.

It's the combination of self-satisfied food faddism and self-satisfied leftist politics that's so risible. They do stock some things that I buy, but I wouldn't touch most of it.

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    i actually LOL'd here pretty hard when i read "it smelt like grains and death". hahaha!
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

syzchan is offline Member
    If where you live has any Indian/Middle Eastern grocery stores, you may be able to find it there. Currently in a small city and the only ethic stores are a couple of asian and a couple of middle eastern stores, all the size of your typical small corner store and one of middle eastern stores actually carried 3 brands of coconut oil while the asian store carried 3 different brands of coconut milk.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I order mine online because it's cheaper than what I can get at the local health food place. Go to Amazon - they have everything.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BareFootForward View Post
    It was... bland, and colorless. I mean, I know that most health food stores pay homage to the grain gods, but they usually also stock other things. Almond milk, soy products, oils, meats, yogurt, tofu... whether or not those things are good for you, for real, they're carried! They usually have peanut butter cookies made just from peanuts and no-animal-testing beauty products.
    Yeah, that's weird. I have a Vitamin City (might go by some other name now), and they're full of all sorts of stuff. Just crammed in there. The usual cereals and what not and soy stuff, but also organice produce, scads and scads of supps (really, tons), condiments including oils, cleaning and beauty products, nuts, and yes, dairy and meat (albeit just a little). Most crowded store I've ever been in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast