Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: athlete's foot and mallet toe page

strom is offline Senior Member

athlete's foot and mallet toe

Shop Now
    I have two conditions of my feet which are everpresent. One is athletes foot. Normally I wouldn't complain about this, but in Ultramind he mentions it as a sign of a yeast infection of the gut. Is this true and how would I verify this? How do I heal the foot from it?

The mallettoe is annoying since it puts extra pressure on the nail and at the base of the toe. This leads to calluses and thick nails. I have had the tendons trimmed before, which helped for awhile. Although it doesn't last for very long. I also don't like wearing the supports under the toes. Is there a better way than surgeries and supports for dealing with this?

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    Strom, I assume you have tried all the usual commercial athletes foot stuff.

Exposure to sunlight is reputed to cure some cases . . . and going barefoot outdoors can't hurt hammertoe or mallettoe . . .

http://doctoryourself.com/feet.html

Earthclinic.com often has remedies that are surprisingly helpful for common ailments, and the system of voting yea or nay and leaving comments is useful.

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/athletes_foot.html

That site has a lot of apple cider vinegar adherents who claim a high rate of success in treating athlete's foot.

Smaller in number, there is an "earthy" group of enthusiasts on the earthclinic site who insist that soaking their feet in their own urine cured their athlete's foot when nothing else worked. Hmmm. About as cheap as sunlight. Let us know how it works.

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/ath...ml#URINE_28104

This supposed aversion of athlete's foot fungus to host urine undoubtedly has evolutionary roots as does almost everything else that we deal with in the Primal world. Here is a theory. Hosts dumb and clumsy enough to urinate on their feet are probably considered by smart fungus to be poor long term prospects for fungus habitat, leading the fungus to seek longer lived hosts. But we crafty primal types can fool the fungus into thinking that we are dumb enough to urinate on our feet by just soaking our feet in our urine, achieving the same net result of a fungus exodus, but without shedding the IQ power that brought us to the Primal site in the first place.
    Last edited by Paleo Man; 08-03-2010 at 09:20 PM.

I'm not wild about peeing on my foot. Would the athletes foot be a sign of a yeast infection in the gut?

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I've heard this many times, and it makes sense to me - athlete's foot is one of many possible signs of yeast overgrowth, specifically candida yeast. You don't want to simply cure the symptoms when unchecked candida causes so many problems over time, but that said, you shouldn't have to suffer in the meantime needlessly. Going barefoot as much as possible (removing the warm, damp environment for yeast growth), especially in the sun, is supposed to be the best cure. ACV should help, too, since it's antifungal, as is coconut oil.

For helping with the candidiasis, there are several diets that claim to help, but the best approach I've found is just exactly what we're doing primally, and the most reknowned diets for "healing the gut" - the ones that really work (not the Yeast Connection diet which illogically eliminates fungus simply b/c it's another fungus - like eliminating yogurt if you have an e. coli infectxicon), like SCD, GAPS, BED, Maker's Diet - do the same thing. That is, eat only real, unprocessed food, add in probiotic foods (yogurt, real sauerkraut, other fermented foods), and skip all the grains & sugars, which feed the yeast.

If you have a candida overgrowth, it may be very, very hard to eliminate the grains & sugars b/c the yeast cries out for more of its grainy food. I have a specific protocol I've used to battle candida and found it very effective and can share it if you're interested.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    I have two conditions of my feet which are everpresent. One is athletes foot. Normally I wouldn't complain about this, but in Ultramind he mentions it as a sign of a yeast infection of the gut. Is this true and how would I verify this? How do I heal the foot from it?

Would the athletes foot be a sign of a yeast infection in the gut?
    Not necessarily.

Regardless though, either means that *your immune system* is having a problem. This isn't about the yeast or the fungus or whatever microorganism is present. This is about your immune system not being able to manage and keep in check that which it should manage with ease. Focus on what you put into your body, focus on getting optimal D levels and the fungal issue will magically resolve. I see it *over* and *over* and *over* again. So frequently that I don't even wonder about it anymore. It's *so* easy to fix.

Eating meat, organ meats and veggies is critical but alone it's not enough. You need to insure you're getting sufficient zinc, A, D (and some full body sun exposure a couple of times per week) and then you'll see it resolve.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

I'm not wild about peeing on my foot.
    I guess you could always ask someone else to do it!

Sorry, I couldn't resist throwing in the "urine cure". My perverse rendition of rule #7. But maybe . . . !?

Anyway, in considering whether anything is suppressing your immune response, one question would be whether you are on any meds that might predispose you to fungal infections. Such as some of the arthritis medications that the FDA has recently fingered as promoting fungus infections, or any steroids such as prednisone.

Any diabetes? How is the blood glucose and especially A1C at this point? A1C provides a longer term assessment and measures not just glucose in the blood, but any fructose that has escaped being metabolized in the liver and that might be contributing to problems. Athlete's foot can be promoted by blood sugar problems.

The only grains I have been eating are corn and white sticky/ wild rice. Corn could be a problem, and perhaps heavy cream?

The only grains I have been eating are corn and white sticky/ wild rice. Corn could be a problem, and perhaps heavy cream?
    Might not hurt to run an A1C test, either through your doctor or to order one of the nifty new do-it-yourself Bayer A1C Now test kits online.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152334.php

I ordered the Bayer A1C Now kit online for about $35, for two tests. This includes a digital device that reads out your A1C when the test is complete in a few minutes. Nifty, easy to use if you read the simple instructions, and the result can be very useful to have, allowing you to make dietary tweaks if necessary that change the result significantly for the better. Generally, higher levels of A1C strongly correlate with increases in all cause mortality.
    Last edited by Paleo Man; 08-04-2010 at 08:13 AM.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Cillakat - I absolutely agree that the regimen you give will work, and magically. Unfortunately, for a lot of us struggling with candida, the constant inner voice saying "EAT MORE CARBS!" is too loud to ignore 24/7 and no matter how much we *know* we have to stop the grains & sugar, we can't. There were a few dietary tweaks I had to make to get over the sugar/grain addiction, and it finally worked, but it took me 3 years to figure out what tweaks I needed, and I'm happy to share those with anyone else who tells himself "just stop eating grains & sugar" but finds he can't.

Once you can quit the grains & sugar, the rest of the deal absolutely works. Good health practices solve a whole lot of problems, just like that.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-04-2010 at 09:31 AM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

what are these tweaks that kill the urges for corn and fructose?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast