Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackberry Marinade from Primal Blueprint Cookbook - Question page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Blackberry Marinade from Primal Blueprint Cookbook - Question

Shop Now
    I just grabbed 2 porterhouse steaks from the freezer and am thawing them in the fridge right now for tomorrows Dinner. I wish to marinate the steaks with the Blackberry Marinade found in the Primal Blueprint Cookbook.

However, it calls for sesame oil and I do not have sesame oil. Would olive oil work fine? Or coconut oil?

Also, I do not have wheat-free tamari so is there is a substitute for this? A lot of recipes call for it so I may pick this up... would a traditional supermarket carry it?

Thanks guys!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Anyone?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Not sure... the egg foo young calls for sesame oil and I used tallow. Seemed to work ok. As for the wheat-free tamari, I get mine in the health/organic section of my grocery (Wegmans.) The ethnic section carries regular tamari. Not that that's much help...

Thanks! I don't want to buy sesame oil but I think I will buy some wheat free tamari. I have A LOT of recipes to make tomorrow!

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Toad,
    I made this marinade a couple weeks ago and used it overnight with a pork loin from Trader Joe's -- it was delicious! I did not have tamari, so I substituted soy sauce, but I remember I used a little less than the recipe called for. Also, I DID have sesame oil and used it. It imparted a little asian flavor, and I happen to really like a hint of sesame oil in Asian inspired dishes (which is why I happened to have some in my cupboard). You really don't use much of it, so I don't think it's too bad to have on hand. Marinade would be fine without -- it'll just have a slightly different flavor.

As for the tamari -- I looked it up online and found out it's soy sauce that's gluten free -- how awesome! I looked at Trader Joe's and my local supermarkets and couldn't find any. TODAY I went into my local health food store for something else, and there on the shelf sat a bottle of Tamari -- organic no less -- for 3.99! Funny how excited that made me. I can't wait to make something with it now -- maybe I'll try the marinade again.

So, let us know how yours turns out. Oh, I also kept about a half cup separate and used as a sauce on the finished meat -- this was the best part, so make sure you save some of the marinade for dipping purposes.

Also, what other recipes are you making tomorrow?

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Marinating a porterhouse..........that blasphemy.........just kidding lol.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefgerry View Post
    Marinating a porterhouse..........that blasphemy.........just kidding lol.
    Agreed.....salt, pepper.....hot grill or hot cast iron skillet.....done.

Toad -- if you decide that your porterhouse doesn't need the marinade, I'd try it on a pork tenderloin -- it was a perfect marriage of flavors!

Chunster495 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/korean-style-short-ribs/
    While that marinade works good on most meats,... i'd save the marinade for another cut of meat,.. like chicken, pork, short ribs..etc...
    Porterhouse is damn good all by itself.

You can substitute the sesame oil with olive, but you will be missing out on a key flavor... and as mentioned above, tamari and soy sauce tastes pretty much the same,... tamari is just better for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast