Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: peanut butter page

Rebekah is offline Junior Member

peanut butter

Shop Now
    Do you eat it? Yes or no? Why or why not?

I know peanuts are legumes, but I love, love, love peanut butter (not so much whole peanuts). I try to make it a "splurge" item (i.e. only eat it once a month or so). Am I doing my body a lot of harm by indulging? I'd be glad for input! (Note: I try to be as 100% as possible, though I do eat high-fat dairy.)

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    i havent touched it in a while. once you get over it, it aint too appealing. i used to LOVE it
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

i think too many people put too much thought into the whole "is it paleo/primal?" question. are peanuts technically legumes? yes, and therefore technically not primal. but you like them, and it's the little forgivable indulgences that will make you miss things like bread and rice less. so eat some peanut butter if you want to.

personally, i would suggest almond butter. after a period of getting used to the texture and flavor change, i grew to prefer it to peanut butter and it doesn't have the negative health effects supposedly linked to peanuts.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i used to eat tons of peanut butter to hit protein requirements when i was lifting weights regularly. i haven't had any in a while. i'll get a little craving every now and then, but a handful of nuts will usually get rid of that.
    if you're having a little bit once a month you're probably not doing that much harm to your body, hence the 80/20 rule, but if you're able to go without it that long, why not just give it up entirely and switch to a different nut butter if you want something similar?

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    it just has an inferior Omega ratio. Much worse than the other "true" nuts. Its yummy but I find people generally end up preferring almond butter or cashew butter. Give them a try if you haven't yet.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    What kind of peanut better too? The regular processed peanut butters are going to be full of sugar and some chemicals with nice long tasty names. If you do need peanut better then you might want to look into getting some of the fresh ground kind from Whole Paycheck. As long as you are paying top dollar for it though, you might as well switch to an actual nut over a peanut.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    What kind of peanut better too? The regular processed peanut butters are going to be full of sugar and some chemicals with nice long tasty names. If you do need peanut better then you might want to look into getting some of the fresh ground kind from Whole Paycheck. As long as you are paying top dollar for it though, you might as well switch to an actual nut over a peanut.
    whole paycheck haha. thats pretty good.

fresh ground peanut butter is between 1.89-2.50/lb at my local co-op. the bulk nut butters are also much less expensive. a jar of almond butter is around 11 bucks in my area, so it's helpful to buy bulk...

Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    whole paycheck haha. thats pretty good.
    the two healthy food stores in my area are the city market co-op and healthy living. they are known as shitty mark-up and wealthy living, respectively.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat it anymore, but only because if I'm gonna splurge on a nut butter, it's going to be almond butter. I don't really like whole almonds, but I love almond butter! Last time I bought a jar, I finished it off within 3 days. Which is why this is a very rare purchase for me. =] I don't think peanuts once a month will hurt you.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Whole foods actually has an almond butter grinder. I get a small portion every time I go for <$2. I try to eat that instead of pb, but I do love pb. Some days I just take a big spooful and eat it right like that, and then stop eating it again for a while I buy the stuff made w/ palm oil and a little sugar for my kids so we always have it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast