Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mashed Purple Cauliflower page

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member

Mashed Purple Cauliflower

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Last night i swung by the local farm that grows organic produce near my house... . They grow purple cauliflower... its dark purple. I'd never seen it before..

so I made mashed purple cauliflower... and it looked weird and wonderful (shoulda taken a pic dangit!).

If you have kids... i bet they'd love it.

1 head of purple cauliflower, butter and salt to taste... just boil it till soft, then mash with butter and salt to taste...

sooo good too!

I served it with chicken. It was really different and fun.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I loooooove mashed cauliflower. Like really love it, haha. There's a a small family of restaurants in the DC area (where my parents live) that serve mashed cauliflower as a side, and I got hooked.

I've found that the texture is better if I boil them till soft but not mushy, and then put them in the oven for a bit to dry out. Lets me add some heavy whipping cream or butter

Btw--purple would be amazing. I love a colorful plate!

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    oh cool! thanks for the tip! ... I bet that would make it seem more starchy like potato's are. If you like color... try that with sweet potato hash browns... omg... favorite meal ever.

rozska is offline Senior Member
    Mmmm. I love making cauliflower 'rice' -- only with Parmesan cheese and heavy whipping cream. . .
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Whole Foods had the organic orange cauliflower for the same prices as the regular white cauliflower, so we'll be having mashed orange cauliflower at some point this week!

I steam the cauliflower, rather than boil it. Comes out with less moisture and I'm always worried about boiling away nutrients.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya about boiling--I always steamed (and still thought it was mushy, and did the round in the over afterward) but we've given up our microwave and we don't yet have the equipment to steam without it! I've only boiled the cauliflower once so far--and I used the water to make chicken stock out of. I didn't like the idea of throwing out nutrients either!

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    I think I'm the only one in the world who finds mashed cauliflower disgusting. The stuff just made me pine away for potatoes. lol
    ~Sandy

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosegin View Post
    I think I'm the only one in the world who finds mashed cauliflower disgusting. The stuff just made me pine away for potatoes. lol
    I hear you. However, once I stopped pretending mashed cauliflower was potatoes and "embraced the cauliflower," I grew to like it.

It's not potatoes. Anyone who thinks it is has a very... different... palette than I do.

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvalab View Post
    I hear you. However, once I stopped pretending mashed cauliflower was potatoes and "embraced the cauliflower," I grew to like it.

It's not potatoes. Anyone who thinks it is has a very... different... palette than I do.
    I've never been a cauliflower fan, anyway. The only way I tolerate it is roasted in the oven.
    ~Sandy

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I like roasted cauliflower, I like it boiled in stock and white wine with some sort of sauce, and I can roast it and mash it in with potatoes (50/50) without anyone noticing, BUT it is not a mashed potato sub imo. It just isn't. Yummy in it's own way, but more and more I'm finding that the more primal I become the less thrilled I am by substitutes. I just want real, delicious food, not food fakery you know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast