Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Super Foods page

gator70 is offline Member

Green Super Foods

Primal Fuel
    As a supplement I use Perfect Foods Green Super Food powder in the morning. Any thoughts on using this type of product? Good? Bad?

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    it isnt harming you but I would be cautious to believe in the "superness" of supps like these. You would do just as well by eating some dark green veggies during the week......possibly better.....since supps historically are inferior to whole foods. If you have trouble getting in some veggies during the week or you are pressed for time, then the supp is probably appropriate for you. Always try to get whole veggie matter in you though, at least once a week.

Athena is offline Senior Member
    I totally use it on occasion in my shakes. I love the taste of spirulina (is that how you spell it?) and it has many natural detoxifiers (cracked cell-wall cholera, etc). I say its never a substitute for real food but I think its a great additive, especially if you have mercury fillings or work in a construction environment. It can help your body bind to the heavy metals and flush them out. Just make sure to get in real veggies too!

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Super green foods are a great addition to a supplement regimen. The only caution is to watch your total Vitamin A intake; super greens tend to provide very concentrated doses of vit A, and when combined with the veggies & fruits you eat, & any other supplements one might take (e.g. multivitamin), you could exceed the recommended daily dose of A, which has been shown to pose health risks (liver damage, etc.).

The optimal total intake of vit A seems to range between 4,000 - 10,000 IU/day (Mark Sisson's new Damage Control Master Formula contains this higher level), depending on which expert you consult. I've read that getting most of your vit A in the form of natural beta carotene is ideal.

According to the Linus Pauling Micronutrient Research Institute's Vitamin A page:
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...mins/vitaminA/

... the tolerable Upper Level of Intake (UL) is 10,00 IU (3,000 mcg) of vitamin A per day. According to this site, very high chronic levels are required to cause harm:
    "Generally, signs of toxicity are associated with long-term consumption of vitamin A in excess of ten times the RDA (8,000 to 10,000 mcg/day or 25,000 to 33,000 IU/day)."
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 08-03-2010 at 11:00 AM.

grokina is offline Member
    I take amazing grass super food powder once a day... sometimes twice, not only because I'm on the run in the mornings, but also because I'm interested in staying alkaline.

Plus, for me, it's tough for my stomach to accomodate the amount of vegetables that I would like to eat on a regular basis.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    I saw Amazing Grass at Whole Foods today and they had free samples of it mixed with Apple Juice. I'm really curious about buying it now, mostly because of the wheatgrass benefits. Wheatgrass cuts down my BO but it's not always easy to find places that have shots available. I've also tried Body Mint and Nullo which are chlorophyll supplements designed for BO.

Yay or nay for buying this stuff? Most people on Amazon say they have more energy but perhaps that's a placebo....

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    I use a green superfood, I like to rotate brands though so I don't have a particular favorite. I also do drink wheatgrass juice daily.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneArchy View Post
    I saw Amazing Grass at Whole Foods today and they had free samples of it mixed with Apple Juice. I'm really curious about buying it now, mostly because of the wheatgrass benefits. Wheatgrass cuts down my BO but it's not always easy to find places that have shots available. I've also tried Body Mint and Nullo which are chlorophyll supplements designed for BO.

Yay or nay for buying this stuff? Most people on Amazon say they have more energy but perhaps that's a placebo....

Sorry, but Wheat Grass is WHEAT Not Primal.
    I'll bet there are lots of other juices out there which would do the same thing (if you need a juice).

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    Sorry, but Wheat Grass is WHEAT Not Primal.
    I'll bet there are lots of other juices out there which would do the same thing (if you need a juice).
    Oh my god - this is so funny... I bought wheat grass powder today at the Farmer's Market thinking it would be a good thing to put in smoothies... and I was JUST thinking "wait, "wheat"... duh!" Good thing I bought the small bag and only wasted $2.50! LOL
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, wheat is not primal but it's a grass juice and will not contain gluten if made/grown properly. Most of the green foods are loaded with grass juices whether it's barley, kamut and so on.
    Juicing itself is not primal (nor is dairy BTW), nor are any packaged foods, salt etc I guess it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
    I use grass juices for a specific need and the benefits to my system outweigh whether it's paleo or not so I don't concern myself with it.

Not that I'm down with grain eating but...

"In the dental record of Australopithecus, a hominid considered perhaps the earliest ancestor of Homo sapiens 4 million years ago, are found traces of C4 grass consumption. C4 plants are mostly grasses and grains. The question as to whether these early pre-humans ate grasses and grains has been somewhat undecided. Some opinion says that the C4 dental record was most likely caused by Australopithecines eating other animals that ate grasses and grains — probably grazing animals. This seems to me an avoidance of the obvious answer.

It’s well established that Gelada baboons eat grass seeds/grains. It seems that monkeys will as well. It would not surprise me if grain eating by early humans went back a very long way in the Paleolithic.

I’m well aware that modern, improved grains, and the way we process and eat them, are a long way from the wild grains of the African plains. However, first things first. Let’s not confuse dietary quality with the premise of the Paleo diet, which is to avoid all grain consumption because of a perceived genetic non-compliance. That hypothesis is just about dead in the water, or the grass, whichever you prefer."

Mercader J. Mozambican grass seed consumption during the Middle Stone Age. Science. 2009 Dec 18;326(5960):1680-3.
    Last edited by Primallady; 09-18-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast