Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: added more carbs=gained lbs and looking worse. page

Djzander is offline Member

added more carbs=gained lbs and looking worse.

I have been doing a moderately low carb approach the past 2 weeks along with my lifting 3x a week and daily walks and was losing weight and also looking better each day in the mirror. This all seemed good until I started doing more research and was coming across all of the evidence suggesting that lower carb diets lower the metabolism and mess up leptin. So for the past week I have been adding in more,but not a ton, good carbs like- blueberries,squash, chia seeds, and sweet potatoes. This is in addition to my previous weight training protocol and I even upped my activity level by playing racquetball each day. My weight has gone up a few pounds on the scale, I am feeling kinda bloated, and I am no longer looking as lean in the mirror. Is this just a temporary reaction the the added carbs?

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Probably water weight........glycogen is mostly water.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Yes, just temporary. The most likely explanation is stored glycogen. For every gram stored, your body also stores 4 grams of water. So adding in carbs definitely makes you add water weight. I've noticed this in myself. It's not nescessarily a bad thing although carb refeeds have been getting a lot of buzz lately. Basically instead of eating small amounts of carbs everyday, you eat normal low carb instead and then once a week or so have a meal where you eat high carb, low fat, and moderate protein. I haven't done this consistently enough to report from personal experience, but some other claim great success.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You can't believe everything you read! Low carb diets don't lower metabolism any more than any diet plan. Anything that restricts food intake can lower metabolism. But that lowering is minimal--hardly noticeable--and does not affect weight loss. Increase food, and the metabolism increases as well. There have been scientific studies that document this.

Djzander is offline Member
    @emmie- there have been scientific studies that prove just about any position. I suggest you take a look at the blog 180 health, it has really changed my perspective on research as well as diets in general.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    all the fuss about low carb diets are really only looking at low carb in the long term. You will be fine on a low carb/ketogenic diet if you just have days where you are doing some sort of higher carb intake. I think our metabolisms would all benefit, regardless of diet, to have periods of high and low caloric intake, as well, but thats just me. The low-carb scare about T3 and liver and all that is for VLC over the long term. You will be fine as long as you have some sort of higher carb days during the month.

OP: whats your def. of moderatly low carb? the studies Ive been reading suggests negative metabolisms in VLC (30 grams and under) over the long term. Were you currently 30 grams and under?

The bloaty feeling is probably temporary, and squash andblueberries have water in them, so you could be seeing a weight fluctuation with that.

Bottom line, even if you are VLC, as long as you incorporate some higher carb days into your routine, you will be fine!

callherpetrol is offline Member
    you might want to add in more carbs like how atkins does it. first two weeks you stay at 20 net carbs with a list of certain low-carb foods, then you gradually add 5 carbs every week or two weeks while increasing the variety of foods. it's supposed to help you determine the level of carbohydrates you can handle before gaining back weight and also help you find which foods agree with you and which foods don't

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i think people are severeeeellllllllyyyyyy overanalyzing and overthinking this diet vs carbs vs keto vs thyroid vs leptin vs whatever else you would like to add.... KISS

- some days eat meat and season it with some onions/spinach
    - some days go all out with sweet taters and winter squash
    - some days dont eat a lot
    - some days eat a crapload

if your mentally making it a point to add this and that everyday...yes, you will likely gain weight. does it matter if one day you have 2 carbs and one day you have 20 carbs but the next 2 days you have 222 carbs??? no, keep it primal, just eat. does it matter if you only got hungry and ate 800 calires yesterday and you were a bottomless pit today and ate 5000? again, no...

FergalJennings is offline Senior Member
    eating low carb doesnt suit everyone i dont think..
    I tried it for a few months and it didnt work for me
    no power to do anything and i was really underweight
    i added more carbs..just ignore the bloating..you get it after eating anyways but it usually dies down after a while..take your omega 3's! it helps alot with it..and i find a glass of cold water can drop it too..

As the guys said its probs water in the veggies..so just stick to it

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dzjander-

The reason I believe in low carb is that I've lost 180 lbs on this WOE. In fact, I'm hypothyroid. If my metabolism were being slowed, my regular blood tests would show some problem, since the thyroid controls metabolism. I have not had my meds adjusted in a long time because my thyroid values have remained steady--despite severe calorie restriction and low carb eating.

And I already have a compromised metabolism. A healthy person would have even less effect from low carb eating.

Again, don't believe everything you read. I never accept any 'truth' unless I can verify it with multiple reliable sources--not bloggers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast