Thread: supplementing with coconut oil? page

robss is offline Senior Member

supplementing with coconut oil?

Shop Now
    I've always hated the taste of coconut so I've stayed away from coconut oil. I saw coconut oil supplements in Whole Foods the other day and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on taking them? Or should I just bear it and eat a few spoonfuls of coconut oil every day? I feel like I may need to increase my fat intake.. (I already take omega 3 supplements)

Dannielle is offline Senior Member
    Some coconut oil doesn't have much flavor at all. The brand I use is pretty coconuty but others might be able to chime in on which brands have little flavor. If you were to use a more flavorless brand for cooking it would probably be fairly easy to add some coconut oil to your day.

You don't have to eat it right off a spoon. I don't honestly think I could do that. I add some to my coffee (but I enjoy the flavor) and cook with it whenever possible.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Use refined coconut oil from Tropical Traditions. Top quality, no crappy chemicals used in the process. No taste.

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    I don't really like the coconutty taste either and I've found the nutiva extra virgin to not be too strong. I don't like it straight off the spoon but things fried in it generally have minimal coconut flavor.

Mad_Fatter is offline Junior Member
    I usually eat a tablespoon or so when I feel hungry. It's fun to let it melt in your mouth for some reason, but otherwise I just use it as the best cooking oil EVER. If I make eggs, I'll use a tablespoon in the pan (far more than you need for non-stick purposes). I don't think it has many magical properties, it's just very sating and very slippery/non-smoking for pan frying

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I take coconut oil caps on a semi-daily basis; here is the brand that I use:

Now Foods, Virgin Coconut Oil capsules
    http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Virgi...gels/8220?at=0

As someone who doesn't have the opportunity to work coconut oil into my cooking/diet, I find these to be a convenient option.

primal bill-e is offline Member
    We use Spectrum Organic coconut oil, and I do not taste any coconut at all. Great for frying eggs, etc.

robss is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the info!! I'm currently using butter when I make eggs, fish, etc. Should I switch to coconut oil or just continue using butter?

Primal K@ is offline Member
    I've purchased different brands/types of coconut oils and I find the ones that are "virgin" or unrefined have a stronger coconut flavour. If it's not unrefined or virgin, the coconut flavour doesn't exist. You probably want to stick to more unrefined types, but if you don't want the full coconut flavour, try just regular coconut oil. They should be just as good.

Viking is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Use refined coconut oil from Tropical Traditions. Top quality, no crappy chemicals used in the process. No taste.
    +1 on Tropical Traditions -- you may be talking about the expeller pressed version. I taste no coconut flavor in it. I get the non-certified since it's less $. Here's a quote from their web site:

"Tropical Traditions Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil, non-certified, is made from high quality coconuts in the Philippines. This is the “common” type oil that millions of people in Asia consume on a daily basis. It is less expensive than our certified organic Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil because it does not include the cost of organic certification. We get our Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil, non-certified, from unpolluted areas of the Philippines where pesticides and fertilizers for coconut palms are virtually unknown. The coconuts typically come from very rural areas in the Philippines, far away from major urban centers. It is also deodorized and processed the “old” way with “physical refining” that DOES NOT use solvent extracts. This is the most economical high-quality coconut oil we sell."