Thread: **fasting / gorging** page

chazglen is offline Junior Member

**fasting / gorging**

Shop Now
    My first question is about the "intermittent fast" that Mark prescribes. I was of the impression that fasting lowers your metabolism and scares the brain into storing away more fat from less and less food consumed... the mantra being "eat many small meals in a day; don't let your body get hungry because your brain will sabotage you."

If the IF really IS good utilizing short blast of brain confusion, then wouldn't the opposite ALSO be true? ...that one day a week, totally blast the diet and eat massive amounts of calories to confuse the brain and kick your metabolism into high gear? ...a kind of feast AND famine diet?

Evita is offline Senior Member
    If you search around on here about "re-feeds" you will find some good stuff in regards to that question. My quick advice from observation on the boards is: yup! People feast, and even on carbs .

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    prolonged fasting does cause our body to go into starvation mode, but these are fasts much longer than 24hours.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    It takes the body more than 24 hrs (closer to 48) to respond to food deprivation by lowering metabolism. So short fasts like IF are actually therapuetic and good for the body.

I'm more comfortable with restricting food than gorging. I've done the latter as a re-feed, but eating too much makes me too uncomfortable. When I want to "jog" the body a little, I'll increase carbs for one day rather than eat a lot.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    It takes the body more than 24 hrs (closer to 48) to respond to food deprivation by lowering metabolism. So short fasts like IF are actually therapuetic and good for the body.

I'm more comfortable with restricting food than gorging. I've done the latter as a re-feed, but eating too much makes me too uncomfortable. When I want to "jog" the body a little, I'll increase carbs for one day rather than eat a lot.
    +1 me too