Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating at night? page 2

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    I have found that if I eat a BIG late lunch around 3:00-4:00pm, I do much better in the evenings. I do think a lot of my eating has to do with boredom and cravings rather than actually being hungry, so I have to work on that.

I am not losing on primal and I know it's because I am ingesting too many calories, most of them in the evenings. During the day, I am running around with my kids, so I eat a lot less (and often forget to eat). My husband has been primal for a week and has lost 6 lbs so far. Not fair!

I don't think I can eat just once a day. I am insulin resistant and usually wake up really hungry, but maybe I can cut it back to twice a day (breakfast and then a big late lunch). I will try the suggestions in here and keep playing around until I figure out what will work for me. Thanks for the suggestions!

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyna View Post
    I used to be the same, the trick is to watch your overall carb intake, eating them as early in the day as possible and then for your last meal of the day have a low carb high protein and fat meal to keep you satiated and to keep your hunger hormones and cravings under control. Partly it's also just a habit you need to break, if you just deal with the cravings/hunger for a few weeks your body will adjust and you will wake up ravenous in the mornings and gradually get used to not eating late at night. I use 8pm as my cut off limit, it's good for your leptin levels.
    The only carbs I am ingesting right now are from vegetables (and some fruits, but really not much fruit at all) but I am sure it's in the 75g a day range. I need to keep a log for a week and figure this out.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    keep unseasoned ground beef precooked in the fridge... when you get the 'munchies' at night then get it out...if it doesnt look appetizing then your just not hungry and its a mental thing...if the cold ground beef looks good then eat up

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    keep unseasoned ground beef precooked in the fridge... when you get the 'munchies' at night then get it out...if it doesnt look appetizing then your just not hungry and its a mental thing...if the cold ground beef looks good then eat up
    +1. or some pre-cooked plain shrimp, like cocktail shrimp ready to go in the fridge. meat is always what you should eat first if you feel hungry.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Scubasm, this will sound counter-intuitive, but my suggestion to avoid munchies in the evening is to try to have a reasonable and fully primal breakfast and lunch. I believe skimping on these (you mentioned being busy with the kids) causes cravings later on. A naturopath said this to me years ago, and I was skeptical, then started increasing the size and protein at breakfast and found that I ate less throughout the whole day.

Also, in the evening, find something to distract yourself, in particular, do not use the time after dinner to peruse food blogs or recipes if that causes you to think about food and wish to munch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12