Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUCH! Dislocated my elbow! page

fit4lifegal is offline Member

OUCH! Dislocated my elbow!

Shop Now
    So... long story short (typing left handed)... last Thursday riding my bike, came to a stop, pedal didn't unclip, fell on extended hand...SNAP goes the elbow. Went to the ER, Got knocked out to pop it back in, am in a cast, had an MRI today & get results on Thursday.
    Husband left on Army trip Sunday for 3 weeks.
    Having "fun" trying to do things one-handed. NOT.
    Any advice on healing, rehab, boredom?

Cosima is offline Senior Member
    Oh no! I'm so sorry! And no doubt you're right handed, too, I'm betting? Ugh. I unfortunately don't have any healing advice but I'm sure someone knowledgable will pop in and help. I just wanted to offer my condolences. I'm glad you're okay otherwise.

Dannielle is offline Senior Member
    Oh my gosh! That sound absolutely horrible. That's exactly why I still use platform pedals. I generally have a good fall about once a year all on my own....don't need any help from the pedals.

I hope you heal quickly and can get back to having fun on the bike!

Is it as painful as I'm imagining it is?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Owee. Happened to my daughter when she was little. They popped it back in without knocking her out, and she was fine in a few days. Too bad you're not still a toddler made out of rubber, huh?

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4lifegal View Post
    Any advice on healing, rehab, boredom?
    Well for the first two... you'd have to see a licensed physiotherapist. Seeking advice like that on an Internet forum isn't particularly a good thing. As for the boredom -- is your uninjured arm your non-dominant arm? This would be a great time to work on that arm and increase its strength if that's the case. Unilateral arm/chest work, for instance.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Dominant arm. Of course. LOL. Trying to keep a positive outlook and get to all that stuff I put off and don't have time to do. Just frustrated with the one-handed thing. Thanks for the condolences/ well wishes - of course I feel like a complete idiot. I guess when I get the test results, and find out my options, I will feel better.

Yes, I hear toddlers have a much easier time. The Doc told me they almost broke my arm popping back in.

I've been through other painful events (including childbirth, broken bones, etc) this was the worst.

workinhard is offline Senior Member
    I've dislocated my knees multiple times... I've heard elbow and shoulder are the worst though... I feel your pain... happy healing!

hw1178 is offline Member
    Ha! My elbow is broken right now from a fall nearly identical to yours exactly one month ago (radial head fracture). I didn't have to have a cast, but it hurt really really bad for the first week. It still hurts a little and it won't fully extend yet. It really is difficult to live life only using 1 arm, isn't it? I can finally type with 2 hands again (yay), but it took a while.

I used to dislocate my elbow all the time as a kid. They just had to twist it back into place. It hurt, but it wasn't really that big of a deal.

Glad you are recuperating well! I'm lucky in one respect, I have very little pain, and within the restrictions of the cast, I can move all fingers fine, rotate wrist (seems to work ok), my shoulder joint seems ok. and I can still tighten my bicep. From what I've read, the radial head fracture is pretty common, along with ligament tears. Unless they managed to fracture something popping me back in, there weren't any obvious fractures on the initial xrays.

Results tomorrow....

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Sorry you have to go through this; hope the results tomorrow are good.

All I can suggest is to keep your protein high for healing, and maybe up your fish oil to help with inflammation, etc.
    Also, keep your spirits up, and don't be too bummed. You're gonna be healed up before you know it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast