Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OUCH! Dislocated my elbow! page 2

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    zinc also helps with healing bruises and reducing inflammation

fit4lifegal is offline Member
    Well, I got a second opinion after I received my MRI results (I ruptured my ligaments, tore my muscle, damaged my ulnar nerve and have a bone bruise)... the 2nd Dr. took my splint off, moved my arm around - it didn't fall out of the socket (YAY)... and he thinks I will actually get most of the function back. No surgery (again, YAY), no cast, I have to stay out of work for a little while, so I don't reinjure it... but, whew! Should be fairly functional in a month or two, and about three months for max recovery. I will miss the next session of Kettlebells, and I can't lift anything for 4 weeks - but I have to tell you... there is really is something to the whole PB lifestyle... the Dr. couldn't believe I didn't break any bones, and I am already regaining function and range of motion.

Jefferson is offline Member
    I used to be a park ranger and, while I'm not a cyclist myself, I did see hundreds of them in the park every year. Most of the serious ones used the cleat shoes with the clips. I always wondered what happens if you lose control of the bike or need to put a foot down quickly. I get that you can ride more efficiently because you can pull up on the pedal as well as pushing down, but is it worth the risk of this kind of injury?

I once had to help a cyclist who couldn't get out of his clips when his bike went over a wash out on a narrow trail. Let's just say that I'm pretty sure that one foot shouldn't point backwards when you are on your back on the ground. I wonder if a spiral fracture of the femur made him reconsider his nifty pedal clips?

I hope I'm not stepping on any cleated shod toes here! I think you should use whatever bicycling equipment you want when you ride. And I hope that elbow gets better quickly and painlessly f4lgal!

fit4lifegal is offline Member
    Jefferson... though I am not new to biking, I am new to the whole clip thing... at this point, I wonder how I will feel about clipping back in...
    That being said.... I can see the benefit of clipping in, despite the risk. Almost everyone I know who clips in, has fallen - most have been fortunate to have only bruised their pride.

I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh the risks... kind of like when people told me not to do kettlebells because they had a high injury risk. I really enjoy KB, but made sure I took a class with a certified instructor so I could learn proper form.

Maybe I will save clipping in for Spin class, maybe I will only clip on side at a time...

I'm just happy I seem to be healing OK - did an hour on the treadmill doing intervals yesterday - and discovered my hip hurts... (guess I landed on that after the elbow snapped) - but I am still plodding along, in my klutzy quest for fitness....

was Grok ever a klutz?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12