Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 132.4 on Sunday, 135.8 on Monday!?! WTH? page 3

Darthash is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Stop worrying about your weight, look at yourself naked in a mirror, use that as the tool of your fatloss, don't worry about the scales, cause you will just get annoyed at it, your bodys weight flactuate all the time.

Hope you reach your goal

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Just for the record, I am wearing the same size jeans (6) at 149 on PB, as I did when I was on a crazy "protein-sparing fast" program 15 years ago, and got down to 130 (for about five minutes). Only difference is about 15 pounds of LBM ;-)

My advice is, go ahead and weigh yourself if you must, but do NOT let the numbers mess with your mind. You're doing great.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I've been weighing myself daily for about 10 years - enough to know that it varies like crazy. If it made me crazy, I wouldn't do it anymore, and there has been times when I went weekly or less with it.

I still do it b/c it's fun to my geek mind to see how diet & exercise affect daily fluctuations (they're often 2-3 days behind). But I only write down my weight weekly - and I only write down my lowest weight. I take my measurements on Saturday and write down my lowest weight of the week that day. Get pretty consistent change that way.

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I've been weighing myself daily for about 10 years - enough to know that it varies like crazy. If it made me crazy, I wouldn't do it anymore, and there has been times when I went weekly or less with it.

I still do it b/c it's fun to my geek mind to see how diet & exercise affect daily fluctuations (they're often 2-3 days behind). But I only write down my weight weekly - and I only write down my lowest weight. I take my measurements on Saturday and write down my lowest weight of the week that day. Get pretty consistent change that way.
    I do the same! And I only do it because it makes me happy. If it didn't make me happy I would chuck the scale out the window.
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

carolanne88 is offline Member
    Man, you guys were busy posting while I was busy at work!

A little background on me, I lost 48 lbs. a little over 4 years ago. In the past 6-8 months, I have packed ten lbs of that back on my body. I know what weight I look and feel my best at and that is 125 - 127. A lot of stress in combination with trying the P90X diet totally screwed me up. I'm trying to balance the stress in my life and get adequate rest. I've got the diet in order now, or close to in order at least. I just get so frustrated at the constant rise and fall. 2 steps forward, 1 step back scenario. I want to get back to where my clothes fit well. That's why I monitor the scale as much as I do. It is also a hard habit to break.

I'm definitely bloated in my belly and gassy, and I know I need to poop.

It just boggles my mind that potatoes and carrots can make the scale jump that much. Like I said, I know it's not actual weight gained, but dang it's frustrating to feel like you are getting no where.

On the other hand....I am getting somewhere. I feel so much better, getting off the grains. I've seen definite improvement with joint pain that I had in my hip before I started PB. I'm not giving up on being Primal. I love how I feel and I love the foods I am allowed to eat. I just want my clothes to fit like they used to. I do look at myself, naked in the mirror and most days, my tummy and hips are not where they were 10 lbs. ago. That is why I don't feel happy. The scale wouldn't matter so much, if I were making strides in body composition.

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    your cortisol levels are now significantly raised by freaking out over the *minor* fluctuation in total body weight.

its been said 1000000 times. total body weight over the short term, especially in females, has more to do with water, poop, and your cycle than it has to do with fat gain.

you are basing your entire happiness on a number. 132. ok, great. its just a number. How do you look and feel? How did you look and feel today before you saw 135? Chances are, you looked the same. And its because you were the same. Not fatter, just different hydration levels etc etc etc and plus or minus poop yada yada yada.

Stop basing your success, and your peace of mind, on numbers. It gets you no where! You are obviously doing the right thing (since you got to 132 in the first place) Just stick to the plan and perhaps, make even more progress by throwing out the scale, or as I like to call it, the Cortisol Machine.
    +5874575076 on every single thing said here.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

carolanne88 is offline Member
    Your cortisol levels are now significantly raised by freaking out over the *minor* fluctuation in total body weight.
    I have no doubt, you are correct. Cortisol levels are what got me here to begin with. I had/have way too much stress in my life....or I let things affect me to the point of too much stress in my life. Probably more of the latter than the former. I know myself.

Krypto74 is offline Junior Member
    I'm new here, and therefore don't have a ton of credibility, but I used to compete as a bodybuilder wwaaaaaaayyyyy back in the 90's and our emphasis was always on bodyfat percentage, and less on scale weight. My prescription for your ailment? Get a set of good quality fat calipers and measure yourself a couple times a month, along with taking a scale weight measurement. Because changes in bodyfat percentage take time to register, even when you are super strict, it's best to do it a couple times a month ONLY. Only going by the scale will drive you NUTS as the days roll on. For instance, I had a friend that would start getting ready for a show at a very puffy 230, and at the end of 16 weeks of strict dieting and training, he was only 224! Yet, his bodyfat percentage would go from over 10% to less than 6% in that time period.

So, what gives? He was putting on muscle and dropping fat at the same time. It's probably the same for you. I believe once you start watching your BF percentage instead of the scale (and actually use calipers, not those handheld bio machines, they will mess with your head too, they never seem to give a good reading) you will get what you are looking for.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carolanne88 View Post
    Man, you guys were busy posting while I was busy at work!

A little background on me, I lost 48 lbs. a little over 4 years ago. In the past 6-8 months, I have packed ten lbs of that back on my body. I know what weight I look and feel my best at and that is 125 - 127. A lot of stress in combination with trying the P90X diet totally screwed me up. I'm trying to balance the stress in my life and get adequate rest. I've got the diet in order now, or close to in order at least. I just get so frustrated at the constant rise and fall. 2 steps forward, 1 step back scenario. I want to get back to where my clothes fit well. That's why I monitor the scale as much as I do. It is also a hard habit to break.

I'm definitely bloated in my belly and gassy, and I know I need to poop.

It just boggles my mind that potatoes and carrots can make the scale jump that much. Like I said, I know it's not actual weight gained, but dang it's frustrating to feel like you are getting no where.

On the other hand....I am getting somewhere. I feel so much better, getting off the grains. I've seen definite improvement with joint pain that I had in my hip before I started PB. I'm not giving up on being Primal. I love how I feel and I love the foods I am allowed to eat. I just want my clothes to fit like they used to. I do look at myself, naked in the mirror and most days, my tummy and hips are not where they were 10 lbs. ago. That is why I don't feel happy. The scale wouldn't matter so much, if I were making strides in body composition.

Glad to hear that your joint pain improvement.....cutting the imflammatory foods is so important in this respect. And feeling great is great, but I understand wanting to look great too! I am hypervigilant sometimes and understand wanting to keep my eye on the numbers......I weigh and measure my food 1/2 the time. I used to do it all of the time, but I found it was unnatural and stressing me out to be thinking about numbers all day.

Rest is sooooo important in fat loss, though. Im glad to see that you realize this and dont think you need to P90X yourself in the ground to lose fat - it just doesnt work that way. Get adequate sleep and everything else seems to fall into place......slowly but surely. Keep your stress levels DOWN and your body will metabolise fat much quicker. And, remember, youre never "getting nowhere". Each day you eat primal is adding quality and longevity to your life!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carolanne88 View Post
    I have no doubt, you are correct. Cortisol levels are what got me here to begin with. I had/have way too much stress in my life....or I let things affect me to the point of too much stress in my life. Probably more of the latter than the former. I know myself.
    sigh.....unlike grains or sugar, stress isnt so easily avoided, it comes at us whether we like it or not. I guess we should just try control what we can, and be at peace with the other stuff we cant control. When I feel stress at work, (or on this forum!) its hard to not let it overcome you. Once its there its hard to de-stress! But I find that when I am actively trying to remove stress from my life, instead of just dealing with it or accepting it, I find that I am not nescesarily avoiding stress, I just dont let it dwell for as long as I used to, and thats progress to me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast