Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: These times a prediction of my 1.5 mile? page

  1. #1
    Napoleon79's Avatar
    Napoleon79 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17

    These times a prediction of my 1.5 mile?

    Primal Fuel
    So yesterday, I did 6 sprints of 400m each, with a 400m very-light-jog between each.

    For the sprints, I have the following times for the 400m laps:

    1:26
    1:35
    1:36
    1:38
    1:39
    1:40

    I plan to do a test run for myself for the 1.5 mile, on Sunday. With the times show above, will it be a good indicator of my 1.5 mile being below 11 minutes?

    Thanks for your time.

  2. #2
    Js137's Avatar
    Js137 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    54
    If you really push hard, I think you should be able to break 10 minutes. By hard, I mean all out, nearly vomitting effort. I assume by the fact that you were able to jog after the 400m repeats that they were not truly "sprint" speeds? After a true sprint of 400m 100% effort, jogging probably wouldn't be possible.

    Run the actual test and let me know what you get - I am curious.

    BTW, I could probably do those 6 repeats starting at 1:15 and ending around 1:30-1:35 and I did 1.5 mile all out run a couple of weeks ago in 9 minutes 35 seconds!

  3. #3
    Napoleon79's Avatar
    Napoleon79 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17
    Well, "jog" might be misleading. They were extremely light jogs...more like trotting than jogging. But what do you mean when you do all out sprints. Sprint, as in, so tired you have to just walk or stop all together? And then sprint again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Js137 View Post
    If you really push hard, I think you should be able to break 10 minutes. By hard, I mean all out, nearly vomitting effort. I assume by the fact that you were able to jog after the 400m repeats that they were not truly "sprint" speeds? After a true sprint of 400m 100% effort, jogging probably wouldn't be possible.

    Run the actual test and let me know what you get - I am curious.

    BTW, I could probably do those 6 repeats starting at 1:15 and ending around 1:30-1:35 and I did 1.5 mile all out run a couple of weeks ago in 9 minutes 35 seconds!

  4. #4
    Js137's Avatar
    Js137 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    54
    Usually, after my first sprint (I actually only consider it a full sprint if it is short enough that I can literally run full speed (maybe 50-100m or so) otherwise you have to slow down some to maintain your pace) I actually physically can not keep jogging.

    If I plan to keep jogging I have to back the intensity off to around 90% or so. I back it down accordingly if I doing 400m repeats, 800m, or mile repeats.

  5. #5
    Napoleon79's Avatar
    Napoleon79 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17
    Yes, you are correct. I think I had a wrong defiintion of sprint. I'm only going 90% for 400m's. I'm pretty much the same as you, I am only able to do full sprints for 100m's. I'm wondering if just doing a whole bunch of 100m sprints is more effective than doing 400m runs and jogs, to prepare for the 1.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Js137 View Post
    Usually, after my first sprint (I actually only consider it a full sprint if it is short enough that I can literally run full speed (maybe 50-100m or so) otherwise you have to slow down some to maintain your pace) I actually physically can not keep jogging.

    If I plan to keep jogging I have to back the intensity off to around 90% or so. I back it down accordingly if I doing 400m repeats, 800m, or mile repeats.

  6. #6
    gloinchin's Avatar
    gloinchin is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8
    How long were your breaks in between each 400m? Assuming they weren't too long, then you should be able to safely go under 11. The only issue I see is that you may start to fade in the last half mile of a 1.5 mile workout which indicated by your positive splits in your workout.
    PR's:

    800m: 2:22
    Mile: 4:56
    10K: 38:55
    Half-Marathon: 1:26:23

  7. #7
    Napoleon79's Avatar
    Napoleon79 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17
    I think the jogs around the lap usually take me 3-4 mins. I'm not sure, I never really timed the "jogs".

    Quote Originally Posted by gloinchin View Post
    How long were your breaks in between each 400m? Assuming they weren't too long, then you should be able to safely go under 11. The only issue I see is that you may start to fade in the last half mile of a 1.5 mile workout which indicated by your positive splits in your workout.

  8. #8
    Napoleon79's Avatar
    Napoleon79 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17

    Niiiicccee

    Ok, I am pretty proud of myself lol.

    Yesterday, I did
    two sets of 50 situps
    (rest 5min)
    two sets of 40 pushups
    (rest 10min)
    then did the 1.5 mile run in 11:04.

    My goal is to eventually be able to do 100 situps, 80 pushups, and then 1.5 mile run in less than 11 minutes. I'm getting closer and closer to my goal!!!!

  9. #9
    Napoleon79's Avatar
    Napoleon79 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17
    Running barefoot is the way to go! There's so much more of a natural bounce to your stride. The only drawback is the track kinds of rub against your foot, kinda painful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •