Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Frying? page

xendaddy is offline Member

Thoughts on Frying?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I noticed that a lot of primal recipes call for copious amounts of coconut oil, lard or tallow. While I enjoy fat just as much as anyone else, I am concerned about what happens when oil breaks down during frying (the reason so many of us avoid PUFAs).

What are your thoughts on frying food and eating primally? Do you pan fry, oven fry, deep fat fry? What do you always fry, and what do you never fry? What is your reasoning if you continue to fry?

Thanks for the help.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Keep in mind that I'm an "older" woman, and we really do better with lower fat--at least I do, and I've read that's common for some older women.

I eat a lot of fish, and I always poach it in water (it stays nice and moist that way).

I do a lot of meat in my slow cooker with just some water or wine (very little).

I'll broil my hamburgers or steak--or, if I use the frying pan, just a little butter or olive oil to keep it from sticking initially.

I find that my fish (salmon, tuna) and meat has enough fat, and I don't need to add more.

I will use olive oil to dress my salads and veggies.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xendaddy View Post
    I noticed that a lot of primal recipes call for copious amounts of coconut oil, lard or tallow. While I enjoy fat just as much as anyone else, I am concerned about what happens when oil breaks down during frying (the reason so many of us avoid PUFAs).

What are your thoughts on frying food and eating primally? Do you pan fry, oven fry, deep fat fry? What do you always fry, and what do you never fry? What is your reasoning if you continue to fry?

Thanks for the help.
    Unlike vegetable oils, coconut oil, lard and tallow are very stable (they all have a very high smoke points) and thus are idea for high heat cooking. Since Coconut oil is mostly saturated fat, it will not break down like vegetable oils. This is the oil I used for my frying.

I don't deep fry, but I do pan fry daily. You shouldn't worry! Of course, I also used my broiler and oven for certain meats, but frying is the norm in my house.
    Last edited by Zed; 08-02-2010 at 12:01 PM.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    i dont fry because I think it is a great way to waste a bunch of good fat.

However, regarding oxidation of these fats during frying, it is my understanding that the stable nature of saturated fat makes them much less susceptable to oxidising. Does some oxidation occur? Im not sure, actually, that would be interesting to know. However I would say with some confidence that if there is any oxidation of the fat during the frying process, it is in much lower amounts than in vegetable oils and other oils that have higher PUFA content, and thus higher susceptability to oxidization. Frying in animal fat seems to be the ideal frying situation. I dont incllude frying in my routine at all, because like I said, it seems to be a big waste and mess. But then again I never loooooooved french fries or fried chicken or anything---I prefer baked versions of both, BUT Bourdain was in Chicago at a hot dog place, and they had french frys that were fried in duck fat. Now THAT I would try!

strom is offline Senior Member
    coconut oil does not have a high smoke point. You have to use medium heat or it will start to smoke a lot.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    coconut oil does not have a high smoke point. You have to use medium heat or it will start to smoke a lot.
    I could have swore I read somewhere online that it does have a high smoke point compare to vegetable oils. Anyway, I always do medium heat when cooking meats, otherwise I have burn meats....lol
    Last edited by Zed; 08-02-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Meg-a-Tron is offline Senior Member
    I fry everything, because there's no way I'm taking a tsp or two of coconut oil by itself haha! And you shouldn't be cooking anything on high heat really, to get a thorough cook it should be longer + medium heat.
    Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
    Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
    Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
    Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    CO does have a higher smoke point than veg oils, but it's not HIGH. Tallow is what restaurants all fried in until some group - Citizens for Science in the Public Interest, I think? - campaigned for a switch to veg oils in the 80s, winning over nearly every restaurant everywhere in the US by the mid 90s.

I think tallow is higher than lard, b/c lard is more monounsaturated than saturated.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    I saute and braise things all the time. Those are lower and slower than either pan or deep fried. I don't like serious frying.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    How do people do their grilling? I just got rid of a gas grill that was just a little propane blast furnace. It was great if you like cinders on the outside and raw in the middle. I'm looking for medium rare without a smoke disaster. What do people here recommend?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast