Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on Frying?

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I could have swore I read somewhere online that it does have a high smoke point compare to vegetable oils. Anyway, I always do medium heat when cooking meats, otherwise I have burn meats....lol
    Refined CO has a high(er) smoke point than virgin (unrefined) CO but it's fine for med heats. Most unrefined vegetable oils have a lower smoke point regardless of the source. I use ghee (clarified butter) for most of my frying, then tallow, then duck fat, then butter.......

Quote Originally Posted by prib81 View Post
    Just don't reuse the bacon grease if you cook eggs in it
    Why not?

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    coconut oil does not have a high smoke point. You have to use medium heat or it will start to smoke a lot.
    Strom,
    There are two different types of CO; they have different smoke points. The unrefined, which is the one I get, has a pretty low smoke point (about 280 degrees)---but it tastes nice and coconutty. I use it only for gentle sautees, and things like eggs. The other type is refined, and you can take it quite a bit higher w/o smoking it. The downside to the refined, is it has almost no taste or odor.

ETA: I see this question was answered already. Never mind ;-)
    Last edited by kuno1chi; 08-08-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: chef gerry beat me to it!!!