Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Frying? page 2

xendaddy is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I use a 5-burner Brinkmann that was on sale at Home Depot this winter. I can fine tune the temperature in five places, which makes grilling fish and veggies super easy. Don't use canola oil on chicken, though. I...and my eyebrows...learned that the hard way.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    is there any 'health concern' if my tallow is from a butcher and not grassfed? i remember reading somewhere that the saturated fat in grainfed animals isnt so great but if you get leaner grain fed cuts and add good fat to it, then it is healthier... any thoughts?

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    Bourdain was in Chicago at a hot dog place, and they had french frys that were fried in duck fat. Now THAT I would try!
    duck fat fries are amazing. I had them in San Jose

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    i dont fry because I think it is a great way to waste a bunch of good fat.
    +1
    I never deep-fry, because it's a waste of fat, but I pan-fry/sauté/braise a lot.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    don't fry, ain't got no vessel to fry in.
    Saute & braise. & since it's summer, grill grill grill!
    cooking oils I use: coconut oil, olive oil, bacon fat, butter, ghee, lard... or a combination of any of those

We use lard in the fryer at the restaurant I work in...

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    is there any 'health concern' if my tallow is from a butcher and not grassfed? i remember reading somewhere that the saturated fat in grainfed animals isnt so great but if you get leaner grain fed cuts and add good fat to it, then it is healthier... any thoughts?
    I have read the opposite actually; saturated fat is saturated fat. The omega-6 to omega-3 PUFA content of grassfed is superior. However, there are some toxins and such that are fat-soluble so the cleaner the source the better in that regard. I know that I feel better with grassfed beef and bison than any other meat. Supplementing grain-fed lean meats with grassfed tallow would probably be a pretty effective hack to improve its healthiness if budget is a concern. I love the taste of grassfed beef though, and Slanker's has very reasonable prices - $5/lb for ground beef, $10-12 for steaks. Where I live (Southern California), this is in line with or cheaper than clean sources (organic from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's).

PaleoPat is offline Junior Member
    I believe heating doesn't change the make-up of rapeseed oil, so if I fry, it tends to be with that.

chowza is offline Member
    Rapeseed as in canola? Tell me you're kidding, please...

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    I do the occasional stir-frying or sauteing and stick with coconut oil for those jobs.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPat View Post
    I believe heating doesn't change the make-up of rapeseed oil, so if I fry, it tends to be with that.
    It doesn't make it non-toxic and remove the rancidity inherent in the manufacturing process. I can always tell when something has been cooked in bad oils; I just feel unwell after eating it. I recommend Mark's Definitive Guide to Oils and Primal Primer on Animal Fats. My cooking fats of choice are butter and bacon grease. Just don't reuse the bacon grease if you cook eggs in it (instead, pour it over the eggs!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast