Thread: Magnesium and vitamin D - how much do we need? page

greek_girl is offline Member

Magnesium and vitamin D - how much do we need?

Hi there,

Mark and Robb Wolf recommend vitamin D and magnesium supplementation especially before going to bed. Does anybody know how much do we need?

Also, I have noticed that a lot of people in this forum take all sorts of vitamins and maybe that's the right thing to do but I am worried that we are messing around with our metabolism?

Honestly, I am lost when it is about supplementation... I just take a basic multivitamin and fish oil everyday and I don't know if I will benefit from anything additional. If anyone can help I will greatly appreciate it!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    I take 10,000 iu of D3 daily and 400 mg of magnesium in addition to fish oil, probiotic, multi, and coq10, and in addition to my dietary sources of these things and sunshine of course

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greek_girl View Post
    Hi there,

Mark and Robb Wolf recommend vitamin D and magnesium supplementation especially before going to bed. Does anybody know how much do we need?
    I'd say that the accurate answer to that one is "no". A consensus that the current RDA is too low seems to be emerging, but agreement about, let alone knowledge of, an exact figure for supplementation can't be expected. And it likely wouldn't be the same for everyone, anyway, and would depend on other factors in your diet:

... higher levels may be better, or they could start causing harm, especially in the absence of adequate vitamins A and K2. Once we leave the land of 30-35 ng/mL, however, we enter the land of speculation.
    http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/ar...-too-high.html

Also, it would depend on how much sun you were getting - and whether you were able to get it that way: the ability to do that varies from person to person and drops off with age:

As we age, our skin gradually loses its youthful cholesterol and its ability to synthesize Vitamin D declines over time. Although it has not been widely studied, some reports indicate that by the age of 50, Vitamin D production has fallen to approximately 50% of its original rate, and by the age of 65 production will have fallen to just 25% of its original capability.
    http://www.grc.com/health/vitamin-d.htm

Honestly, I am lost when it is about supplementation... I just take a basic multivitamin and fish oil everyday and I don't know if I will benefit from anything additional. If anyone can help I will greatly appreciate it!
    I'd go with what someone you trust - Mark or Robb Wolf? - suggests and otherwise leave it alone.

If your doctor had suggested you needed some particular nutrient - if you'd actually tested low in something - then maybe. Even then it might be better to get what you need from food if at all possible. I'd suggest popping pills with no real reason is a waste of money and possibly counterproductive.

greek_girl is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I'd say that the accurate answer to that one is "no". A consensus that the current RDA is too low seems to be emerging, but agreement about, let alone knowledge of, an exact figure for supplementation can't be expected. And it likely wouldn't be the same for everyone, anyway, and would depend on other factors in your diet:

http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/ar...-too-high.html

Also, it would depend on how much sun you were getting - and whether you were able to get it that way: the ability to do that varies from person to person and drops off with age:

http://www.grc.com/health/vitamin-d.htm

I'd go with what someone you trust - Mark or Robb Wolf? - suggests and otherwise leave it alone.

If your doctor had suggested you needed some particular nutrient - if you'd actually tested low in something - then maybe. Even then it might be better to get what you need from food if at all possible. I'd suggest popping pills with no real reason is a waste of money and possibly counterproductive.
    Thanks Lewis

I know it will sound crazy but my husbnad is a GP and he says exactly the same thing. I just like to ask because sometimes he can't be objective - even when I ask my "official" Doctor about things she always asks me what does my husband think which drives me mad!!!

He is not doing the Primal diet but he believes my diet is so good that I don't even need a multivitamin but I just take it for peace of mind. Really want to check if we are missing something because of the Primal diet.

I spend at least 30 minutes outdoors so I hope that is adequate for vitamin D but I am not sure why I would need magnesium. Maybe because it's always raining in the UK? :-) I sleep very well every night (too tired no to) but I can't wake up without an alarm... I could sleep all day

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I have to admit that I have been having a bit of wondering time on the benefits (or not) of supplements lately. Just recently I read that people taking calcium supplements are more likely to get cancer or something like that... it just makes you wonder if we really know what we are doing at all. Although it does seem that Vit D3 supplementation is getting a lot of press lately and could be good for us... but still I just feel like I have too much conflicting information at every turn.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    The amount of Vitamin D someone requires is very subjective. End of the day, you need enough to get your blood serum level of vitamin d to a good range (which is about 60-70ng/mol). Dr Davis just did an excellent blog post on the topic.

Essentially the best way to work out how much you should supplement is to take say, 5000IU per day, get a vitamin D test after a few months and check where you are with regards to the optimal range. If you are too low, up the dose, too high, lower it. Eventually you will find an optimal amount for yourself.

Hope this helps!

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I think cillakat advocates 1000 IU vit D per 25lbs body weight. So for me, with no mid day sun exposure I should be supplementing 10,000 IU daily.

Mag... according to the book Miracle of Magnesium you should be getting around 4mg per pound of body weight, for me that's about 1000mg daily (from food and supps). Mag is an easy one to tell if you're over doing it, when you get liquid stools you've taken too much.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I say during the summer months don't worry about Vitamin D3 supplements. I take Vitamin D3 in the winter, but skip them in the summer because I know I get enough sunlight. Your body can produce a lot of Vitamin D3 in a short period of time. As long as you get a slight tan then you are doing great.

For other supplements its tough... I personally take Mark's probiotic and fish oil. I think we can all agree that supplementing with fish oil is a fantastic idea. Also decreasing your omega 6 content does the trick too. I am avoiding nuts as much as possible but am enjoying more macadamias instead since they have .36 grams of 06 in one oz.

I also take Mark's multivitamin/antioxidant supplement but feel it may not be necessary since I get lots of nutrition from my diet. He recommends to take 12 a day where as I take about 3 a day to really stretch it out.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The problem with multivitamins is that they tend to give you the vitamins in forms that your body doesn't digest well - less "bioavailable" - so you end up peeing out most of the supplements. Better to eat nutrituous foods. Studies on the effectiveness of multis suggest that they don't do much good at all. That said, I have been taking 5000 IU of D and 2 fish oil caps a day - I eat a lot of oily fish normally though, otherwise I'd take more. I drink some pretty natural yogurt and kefir too.