Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk Lard! page

Russ is offline Senior Member

Lets talk Lard!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, Lard has a bad rap in the CW land, just mentioning actually using it to cook / eat makes people gag. BUT, i know better, right? I read mark's animal fat primer, but i'd like to go into more detail on selecting / buying / cooking with it.

On a whim at publics I went to the meat department and asked if they have lard . . long story short they throw away all the animal fat when the butcher meat, but the guy said if i call in early in the day they'll save me some, and give it to me for free!

So now i have as much beef and or pork fat / lard as i want. . but what do i do with it? Should i even take advantage of this and get it? How do i incorporate it into my cooking and my meals? How do i get my girlfriend to eat it without gaging at the thought?

So yea . . tell me about lard, who uses it?

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    i save the fat from cooking bacon and throw it into stuff I'm making for flavor. I used it to flavor Quinoa... and it was delish!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there's much you can do with it other than fry with it.

You can add it to baked foods - for example, there's an old regional English speciality called "lardy cake". But then you've got flour in there, which you don't want.

People often used to use it in place of butter for spreading on bread. I think in some countries, where lots of pigs are kept but they're not big on dairy farming, that's still done nowadays. But, again, not relevant to you.

So, basically, use it as a frying medium. It would be good for frying potatoes, but they're probably off the menu, too. I guess use it for meat. Traditionally, people would tend to match the fat and the meat, so it might not be best for, say, a beefsteak. (You'd probably want olive oil or clarified butter or "beef dripping" for that.)

It would certainly be good for frying eggs.

MrsPih1024 is offline Member
    Here you go http://www.cheeseslave.com/2009/07/0...r-lard-tallow/

talks about rendering lard and tallow (tallow= cow)

Russ is offline Senior Member
    I 've pretty much been using coconut oil for all those things . . is there a pro-con to lard vs. coconut oil? I have a gallon of the coconut oil, but i can get free pig/cow fat.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Tell gf that lard has a similar fatty acid profile to olive oil. It's largely monounsaturated fat - really!

Lard is best known for flaky pie crusts & Southern biscuits. All real chefs use real lard (although theirs is likely from buckets of hydrogenated lard sold in the baking aisle of the grocery store). Use it wherever you see Crisco called for, b/c my guess is that Crisco was invented for whatever lard was supposed to be used for, just like oleo/margarine was invented to replace butter.

I use lard to brown pork and anything it seems like it would complement well. Potatoes are great pan-fried in lard, tallow, schmaltz (chicken fat), duck fat, goose fat ... I'm getting carried away with my newfound love of being able to use the fats that really taste best with traditional foods!

I use tallow to brown beef, for example, brown my roast before putting it in the oven.

I usually get my lard and tallow by skimming it off the top of my broth, since I make it from meat bones. That's not ideal for a pastry crust, but I'm not making that, lol - it is very good for a meat pie crust, like steak & kidney pie, but I'm not making that, either, right? Lol. Traditionally, you get it by taking the fatback or leaf lard (kidney fat) and just melting it in the oven in a nice cast iron skillet or some such. Some fatty gristle will be left, but the rest is your lard that will solidify when it cools again. Strain it if you like and you're good - freshly rendered lard/tallow!

Tallow is also traditionally used for candles. Also for making pemmican - crumble ground beef (can't remember if it's raw or cooked) w/ tallow & some dried (but not sweetened) cranberries and you've got a food that will literally keep for *years*.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-02-2010 at 10:54 AM.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Variety is important to your diet. I use CO for some things and lard, tallow, other animal fats for others. Depends on what seems like would complement the dish best, and what I've been having a lot of lately.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    They're both good.

But coconut oil has some quite nice properties, including being anti-microbial. It's even used therapeutically - google "coconut HIV" for an example.

And you can even use it for dressing salad. Mary Enig recommends an oil mix for dressing salads that's ⅓ oilve oil, ⅓ coconut oil, and ⅓ sesame oil. I haven't tried it, since I just use olive oil, but it supposedly works.

Nice to have a choice, I guess.

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    You can also use tallow to make your own soap!
    Son of Grok has a bit on rendering your own lard & getting cracklins as a bonus.
    I have some fat in my freezer waiting to be rendered - to go with the pork liver for a pate.
    As for cooking, I'm like the others & it depends on what flavours I'm looking for & what ingredients I'm cooking with. I like to blend them periodically like bacon fat & coconut oil...
    How fortunate that you are able to gather some goodies for free! (one man's trash, etc) I'd say hoard n store! and share with any other primal type friends

TrevtheEngg is offline Junior Member
    Can you use Coconut oil in a deep fryer for wings?
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowtongue!!"

Started my PB Journey April 15th 2010
    Stats: 6', 258 lbs
    Total weight lost: 30 lbs
    Current weight: 228 lbs
    Goal 200 lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast