Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelloggs Froot Loops - now with crude oil! page

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member

Kelloggs Froot Loops - now with crude oil!

Shop Now
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

mmmmm grains.....now with more chemicals!

This summer, Kellogg recalled 28 million boxes of Froot Loops, Apple Jacks, Corn Pops and Honey Smacks, the company blamed elevated levels of a chemical in the packaging.

Federal regulators, who are charged with ensuring the safety of food and consumer products, are in the dark about the suspected chemical, 2-methylnaphthalene. The Food and Drug Administration has no scientific data on its impact on human health. The Environmental Protection Agency also lacks basic health and safety data for 2-methylnaphthalene -- even though the EPA has been seeking that information from the chemical industry for 16 years.

The cereal recall hints at a larger issue: huge gaps in the government's knowledge about chemicals in everyday consumer products, from furniture to clothing to children's products. Under current laws, the government has little or no information about the health risks posed by most of the 80,000 chemicals on the U.S. market today.

"It is really troubling that you've got this form of naphthalene that's produced in millions of pounds a year and we don't have some of the basic information about how toxic it is," said Erik Olson, an expert at the Pew Charitable Trusts, which is advocating an overhaul of U.S. chemical laws. "In so many cases, government agencies are missing data they need on even widely used chemicals about whether they pose a health risk."

A natural component of crude oil, 2-methylnaphthalene is structurally related to naphthalene, an ingredient in mothballs and toilet-deodorant blocks that is considered a possible human carcinogen by the EPA
    But others are less certain. "In this case, it had an odor and it had a taste, so it was detected," said David Andrews, a senior scientist at the Environmental Working Group, an advocacy organization. "But there are hundreds of other potential impurities that we can't smell and taste, chemicals that we know very little about and the government knows little about."

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    yummmmm..... those poor kids eating this shite.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Maybe they're just trying to do their part to help clean up the gulf.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    It just goes to show the maxim of the current era: if you can't pronounce it, it must be delicious!
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I think I remember a big "Great source of FIBRE!" thing on a box of Fruit Loops the other day. Unbelievable.

Kind of like being sodomized with a crowbar is a good source of iron.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    I think I remember a big "Great source of FIBRE!" thing on a box of Fruit Loops the other day. Unbelievable.
    I remember taking a look at a nutrition label one time on a box just to see the total carbohydrate-to-fiber ratio. It was, at the very least, 10:1 if I remember correctly. Great source of fiber my arse...
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I hated froot loops when I was a little kid (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). I can't believe they are still on the shelves! As an aside, I took a shortcut through the cereal aisle the other day and geezaloo, what a ton of vacuous foods they have now. Made me want to leave copies of Watson's Cereal Killer book in with the boxes! LOL

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    They have to put the oil form the Gulf somewhere. How is this not a criminal offense?
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Mica is offline Member
    I'm not sure what is worse - that we KNOW now that all this garbage is present in our "food" and yet we still keep eating it, or that years ago (like, say, when I was a child eating many helpings of fruit loops and other "breakfast cereals" and processed "foods") we ate the stuff and DIDN'T know/care about what was in it! At least now we have an awareness that hey - chemicals are/might be bad!

I shudder when I think of how much crap I shoveled down my throat when I was a kid. Yech.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    It's not in the food, it's holding the food.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast