Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK primal - Shopping and breakfast ideas page

ukmase is offline Junior Member

UK primal - Shopping and breakfast ideas

Primal Fuel
    Hi there,

after my welcome message it seems there are plenty of people going primal in the UK..

So a few questions, i shop at tescos,we do it all online and it saves us a lot of hassle. A lot of the prmal recipes have some hard to find indregients, has anyone else found this??

Breakfast is an area i am struggling in, i dont eat eggs so i am a bit stuck. Any ideas ?

I am just putting together a week long meal plan and its proving to be rather difficult, i am sure it will get eaasier once i am in the primal mindset.

Mase

Simon is offline Senior Member
    Hi Mase,
    I have been primaling (is that a word?) for just over a week now. I'm doing the usual supermarket shop but trying to concentrate on the organic stuff of course. I get my meat from a local farm shop (there are loads around) so at least you know where it comes from and can ask questions about how the animals are raised. I am going to hit the local farmers market next weekend, you might find this of help to locate one near you http://www.farmersmarkets.net/ I don't know if you have the 'Julian Graves' chain of shops near you but they do big bags of nuts which are useful to have at home and in the car.

Also and idea might be to try some different egg recipes or perhaps some duck or goose eggs if you don't like regular eggs.

Sherissima is offline Member
    Hm, I eat eggs almost every single day for breakfast - fried with bacon, omelette with veggies/smoked salmon, boiled with a salad...

You can just try the same, but take away the eggs! I.e. bacon and fried mushrooms/toms/wilted spinach, smoked salmon and chopped peppers/olives, some salad veg with bits of ham, prawns or cheese (if you eat dairy). Of course, the leftovers from the night before - beef casserole, steak and veg, barbecued chicken and salad...

These are just examples. Sometimes you can also IF, so not eat from last night's dinner until lunch or even dinner... Don't force yourself. On the other hand, if you're hungry, eat - there are a lot of healthy and tasty Primal choices!

ETA: Also, which kind of ingredients are you unable to find? I shop in Asda, Morrissons, Tesco and Sainsburys and usually manage to find what I'm looking for in one or the other of these!
    Last edited by Sherissima; 08-02-2010 at 03:40 AM.

I forgot to add that I found little tins of Alaskan Wild Salmon (the best kind apparently and superior to regular salmon from farmed sources) in Morrison's Supermarket yesterday. They are a whopping 2.96 though, so not something I'll be eating every day. Good for emergencies though.

The majority of the recieps seem to use coconut flour or oil. Doesnt seem to have caught on in the UK yet.

I like the idea of shakes for breakfast.

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ukmase View Post
    The majority of the recieps seem to use coconut flour or oil. Doesnt seem to have caught on in the UK yet.

Hi mase,

Try "Tiana fair trade products" or "coconoil" for coconut products online.i use both the flour and oil.

Re. Smoothies, there's a tasty recipe halfway down this page http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/27PyNl...t-recipes//r:t
    You can mix some or all of it up the night before if you are in a real hurry in the mornings.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ukmase View Post

I buy organic dessicated coconut and put it through a coffee grinder which comes out as a powder - works very well.

For breakfast, I sometimes have kipper; sometimes herring roe with spinach; sausage bacon and broccoli; avocado with prawns and organic yogurt; smoked haddock poached on bed of spinach; tinned salmon made into fishcakes with broccoli - I find it best to make these the night before, same if I make burgers from mince which are a quick and ace breakfast with fried tomato and mushroom. But I also eat eggs quite often. Couldn't live without them!

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    I'll second the recommendation of your local farmers' market or farm shops, if you're lucky enough to have such a thing - see http://www.bigbarn.co.uk for a few shops. They also have some mail order options - see also http://acookslibrary.com/where-to-buy-good-food/ , http://www.graigfarm.co.uk and http://laverstokepark.co.uk - and Laverstoke supply Waitrose, if you have one of those handy, with organic buffalo and wild boar burgers .

Breakfast... white fish? Dust with ground almonds if you want to dust it in something, and fry in coconut oil. My local health food shop sells the coconut oil, and so do Amazon UK.

Kippers - excellent call. I forgot how much i love these.

I have sourced some coconut oil (11.99 a tub) from Holland and Barrots, i hope to pick up some nuts etc from here as well.

Next mission is to pop to the local farmers shop and ask if they can deliver a crate of fruit and veg each week.

Getting there, slowly but surely. Bakin Bacon is cooking away nicely as i type

Is there a primal UK group on facebook or similar, it would be useful to source out the cheapest place to get these hard to find items.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast