Thread: Experiment with oats page

shadgal is offline Senior Member

Experiment with oats

I decided to try oatmeal as per the Nourishing Traditions way by soaking it overnight in water to reduce phytates (I think?) with a dash of cider vinegar added. I had the next day for breakfast and noticed that I had no stomach issues like I did before PB. I used to eat without soaking it.......but later on in the afternoon (5 hours later) I needed to have a nap which I haven't done for ages since giving up grains.
    Anyhow as I said this was just an experiment and I am not going to start eating again but it was interesting.

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    Prior to finding the PB, I used to soak my oats overnight in water and 2 tbsp. plain yogurt. I'd prepare as usual the following day and then add a tbsp. of butter or coconut oil, a handful of nuts, some raisins, a splash of maple syrup and whole milk or 1/2 and 1/2. So good. I found it definitely improved the digestibility and kept me feeling full much longer than non prepped oats.
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Back when I used to have oats for breakfast most days, I started having them uncooked. Not strictly uncooked, as the rolled oats you buy are steamed I believe. But my prep was just to soak them overnight in yogurt and soymilk (I know, this was *before*), then add stuff in the am. Anyway, I found that they kept me full longer that way, which I think was a good sign. I always figured it had to do with not cooking them into semi-mush. But maybe it had to do with the soaking itself. Dunno.