View Poll Results: best empty starchy carb?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Potatoes

9 15.00%
  • Sweet Potatos/yams

31 51.67%
  • rice

12 20.00%
  • oats

4 6.67%
  • other/ name it

4 6.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best empty carb? page

Gathwh is offline Senior Member

Best empty carb?

Which empty carbs would you eat if you needed to and why? Non primal/paleo options included. I personally like oats.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    White basmati rice.

I eat it everyday.

Yes I know, kill me.

I won't bother to justify why I eat it. But it doesn't bother me at all and I love it.

Oats are too hard to digest, 'taters have antinutrients, sweet potatoes take too long to bake...
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    I think I woulds need to understand why these would be classified as empty? Are you saying their empty calories, anti-nutrients or something altogether different? I guess the empty carb choice for me is sweet potato.............they feel filling though. j/k

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    If voting based purely on taste... gimme potatoes! Mashed, french fried, cheesy, buttered, loaded baked potates... whatever.
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

wildema1 is offline Member
    jasmine rice cooked with coconut milk instead of water. oh how i miss that!

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes aren't really an "empty" carb (they're fairly nutritous) so I voted for rice. That, and I love rice. I'd rather have a small portion of rice with dinner on occasion than most other more primal indulgences like nuts, chocolate, dairy. And as far as I know, other than the ability to make you fat, white rice doesn't have much in the way of lectins, and anti-nutrients? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's probably the "safest" grain (white rice, not brown)

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    I mean empty as it's main use is as a source of energy, with low nutrients or antinutrients. Something cheap that you would feed an army on.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes, though I don't see them as "empty."
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    If we're talking starchy carbs, my favorite is definitely sweet potato; pretty good nutritional bang for your buck. I also like almost all winter squashes too. When I was on a trip two weeks ago, I pretty much had to eat carbs. I noticed that I felt fine after eating white rice with some beans, but one day I had oatmeal and that kinda messed me up. So in order of preference: sweet potato (if that counts), winter squashes, white rice/white potato, anything else. Oh, I like boniato too.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    rphlslv- your avatar just totally wigged me out just now. I tried to squash the bug on my screen. (Too damn tired I guess.)

I have the same thought as a couple others have mentioned. Sweet potatoes aren't exactly "empty" compared to the other options. They're my "carby carb" of choice if I'm going to eat something carb-licious. Well that or a banana.

My "empty carb" treat is home brew kombucha, which would fall under "other" I guess. I make mine with pure black cherry juice... so some carbs, but I'm not sure how many after the ferment. I suspect a wee bit of alcohol in there as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast