Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Nutrition Suggestions Denied page

KenRogers is offline Junior Member

Post Primal Nutrition Suggestions Denied

Shop Now
    So tonight my family asked what we should make for dinner. I am in the process of reading through the Primal Blueprint so I shot out a few suggestions for what we should have for dinner, all of them following the Primal Blueprint eating style.

All of them were denied, and we are now deciding between spaghetti and some sort of fast food for dinner.

Anyone else having problems either eating primally with friends and family or convincing them that eating primally is very healthy and satisfying?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Is anyone else not? Seriously, I imagine folks who can convince everyone else in their families to totally change their eating habits are rare. More so for those with kids.
    Last edited by blank_faceplate; 08-01-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    What were your suggestions?
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    No success. My family and friends is stuck in CW. They think I am killing myself!

I often hear these responses. Does your parents allow you eat Primal? If you having spaghetti I am assuming is with ground beef, so just eat the meat and skip the pasta.......I will agree with the pervious poster though. I believe it is rare occurrence to completely change your parents and friends mindset on food.

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes it seems impossible to please everyone, even with the most delicious looking and tasting foods. People have complained about my almond flour concoctions while others have raved about them.

I made this chili this morning: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-chili-recipe/

Hopefully everyone in my family likes it, but I'm expecting my dad to complain that it doesn't have any beans (that's how he always eats/makes it) or my mom will complain it's too spicy (there's two jalapenos in the entire batch).

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I've never had anyone complain when I follow my usual formula of
    -big hunk of meat, grilled, smoked, or roasted, w/ salt, pepper, usually garlic, maybe some other spice
    -big salad of fresh veggies & variety of lettuces
    -fresh veggies sliced, then grilled, sauteed, or roasted w/ salt, pepper, usually garlic, maybe some other spice, in butter, CO, bacon grease, maybe EVOO

Primal Playmate is offline Junior Member
    Oh boy yes! I have a 8 year old self imposed vegetarian who is irritable a great deal of the time and my husband and 5 year old son hate veggies but love meat.
    Meals are a daily issue around here.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    My kids eat best when I serve just meat and veggies. They always eat the meat out of everything first and go for grains (if there is any) last. Always. My husband on the other hand would happily be a vegetarian and can't stand any meat w/ fat on it, bone-in, or not cooked to death so that's irritating to say the least. He does sort-of understand about grains not being healthy, it's starting to sink in that I don't want to have grain foods play any major role in our kids lifes but... he still is really picky and can't change the fact that he is a carb/grain addict. Luckily, I have the excuse that I just cater to what our kids will eat and they love primal foods.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Well, my thing is, when getting my friends/family to eat Primal is to not tell them they're eating Primal. I just make food (or food suggestions) so good they don't even realize what they're missing.

Second, with the parents thing (and I've been seeing this a lot on the boards), it's this thing Dave Ramsey calls the "Powdered Butt Syndrom." Once somebody's powdered your butt they don't really want to hear your advice on money or sex, and it seems food choices as well.

I did manage to get my mom to start eating Primal for her desire to lose weight. My dad doesn't eat Primal per se, but they both certainly indulge me in my eating habits. My mom's been doing a lot more Primal cooking since she's changed her diet, so whenever I visit I know I'll have a good meal. It took a long time to bring them around. Before they did, it came down to me picking and choosing what I'd eat, or not eating what was fixed. I'd suggest sides or options I could eat as an add-on to what they wanted, and only ate the "safe" foods. I guess it eventually worked.

With kids... I don't have them yet but they'll get the same rule I got when I was a kid. "Eat it or go hungry." Sometimes I ate it. Sometimes I didn't, but I didn't get a second choice on dinner.

That's just my 2 cents.

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    Its a breeze around here - for the most part. My husband eats a Primal diet too - prefers to eat that way. My youngest is primal by nature - she would prefer a burger in a romaine lettuce leaf over a bun any day. My middle child is happy to eat whatever, as long as she has some sort of dip. My eldest is the pickiest and is definitely a carb addict - she does eat meat (again, with a dip of some type) and enjoys carrots.... They do well, and usually eat what they like from what we eat. We haven't nixed the breads, cereals for them yet.... for now, I'm modeling healthy food choices and hoping they'll start making better choices if the options are available to them.

Tonight we had Joyful Abode's savoury vegetable pancakes with some grilled italian sausage and the entire family gobbled it up - its always really awesome when that happens!
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast