Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flax seeds - better than nothing? page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Flax seeds - better than nothing?

Okay, I know fish oil is superior, but I won't be able to get my hands on it for a while.

In the past 2 weeks I have not had any O3 supplement, and I noticed a BIG difference. Less recovery from lifting and harder to fall asleep.

So a few days ago I ate some of my mom's flax seed flour and I woke up the next day feeling GREAT!

So I bought some for myself... should I keep eating it until I get some fish oil? I know it's not as efficient blah blah blah, but is it actually harmful? It won't be for the long term...

Thanks.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    You can buy flax seed but you can't buy fish oil? I'm confused.

And off topic, I love your avatar. It's my favorite one! First time I saw it, your post was lower than the post I was reading so I tried to shoo the bug away.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Definitely take the flax, especially since there was a notable difference that you observed! I used to sprinkle ground flax seed on my food to add a nutty and omega 3-y flavor. It is definitely better than no supplementation at all!

And I can't like, just like say_rahhh, I had to touch my computer screen to ensure that the insect was not real
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    You can buy flax seed but you can't buy fish oil? I'm confused.

And off topic, I love your avatar. It's my favorite one! First time I saw it, your post was lower than the post I was reading so I tried to shoo the bug away.
    Flax is cheap!

I can't get my mom to order me fish oil, and even when I do order (this week hopefully) it will take like one week and a half to get here!

Thanks about the avatar.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    flax messes with hormones if you consume too much (phytoestrogens). get your fishy oil back!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Eat canned sardines, tuna, and salmon. I think some flax is fine, but the absorbability and conversion into the right kinds of fatty acids is low, stabby had previously posted the ratio difference.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Are you living in someplace with no drug store or supermarket that has a pharmacy section?? Fish oil is stocked along with vitamins at every place I've ever seen. I can't imagine why you'd need to order it.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    I just listened to a podcast by Robb wolf and his response to a similar question about flax was that there were no apparant health risk to consuming flax, but he highly suggested sardines and stuff like that if fish oil capsules are hard to come by. Those are wallet friendly and usually at every grocery store.

Well fish oil outside the internet is way too expensive. The same one I buy only for 24$ is 48$ at Fairway Markets!

And damn, that's true. I should have bought some sardines today. But it's okay I hate their taste!

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Goodness, it's hard to answer this question. Is flax better than no omega 3 at all? Well... I suppose, yes, but this is a bit like asking if poison-contaminated water is better than no water at all. You need water to live, but why on earth would you restrict yourself to a *bad* source of this vital thing when perfectly good sources exist?

Flax, however useful it may be for low-carb cooks, is not good news for your body.

Flax has more phytoestrogens than soy. It increases risk of prostate cancer in men and toys with fragile estrogen balances in women. (It's been hypothesized that the brain atrophy linked to soy consumption is the result of soy's phytoestrogens monkeying with our normal estrogen-regulated process of brain maintenance. I suspect this will turn out to be true.) Soy, flax and pomegranates are much too full of phytoestrogens to be fit for human consumption. Prostate cancer for the guys, early puberty for the girls, and brain atrophy for all. Not pleasant stuff.

I wish it weren't so. Flax seeds are so versatile in recipes. Oh well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast