Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: what nuts are relatively high in protein and are low in PUFA and/or high in O3? page

  1. #1
    BlueBear's Avatar
    BlueBear is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20

    what nuts are relatively high in protein and are low in PUFA and/or high in O3?

    Primal Fuel
    Title says it all. As I don't want to eat alot of meat I am looking for nuts to get some extra protein from without getting too much omega 6.

  2. #2
    tfarny's Avatar
    tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,478
    Nuts are a very poor substitute for proper meat. I believe Brazil and Macadamias are the two best, or so I've been told. But this doesn't seem like a good idea from a nutrition standpoint. Why not sub in loads of eggs instead, or dairy if you can handle it?

  3. #3
    Lewis's Avatar
    Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,316
    Yeah, it's possibly not a good strategy. Nuts are not particularly cheap for their weight, so I don't know you'd save much on a meat bill. They also have anti-nutrients. It's OK to eat a few raw, but if you begin to eat them in bulk that becomes an issue. Then you really need to soak them in salted water for several hours and dry them slowly before eating them.

  4. #4
    BlueBear's Avatar
    BlueBear is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20
    The reason why I don't want to eat too much meat is because I have hemochromatosis and because the primal diet is high in iron I need to consiously reduce the iron I get. Iron uptake from animal foods is much higher than from plant foods. And because meat and eggs are high in Iron I need to limit them somewhat. I do eat dairy (cheese), which I think is low in iron, but since its not really primal I dont eat too much of it. Ofcourse I could also use protein powder but I don't really like that and I really really like nuts :P.

  5. #5
    BlueBear's Avatar
    BlueBear is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Yeah, it's possibly not a good strategy. Nuts are not particularly cheap for their weight, so I don't know you'd save much on a meat bill. They also have anti-nutrients. It's OK to eat a few raw, but if you begin to eat them in bulk that becomes an issue. Then you really need to soak them in salted water for several hours and dry them slowly before eating them.
    I had no idea nuts contained anti-nutrients. Does that mean that (beside the high fat content of nuts) nuts are no better than legumes ?

  6. #6
    Lewis's Avatar
    Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,316
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBear View Post
    I had no idea nuts contained anti-nutrients. Does that mean that (beside the high fat content of nuts) nuts are no better than legumes ?
    I don't know how many/much of these they contain relative to legumes.

    The Aztecs used to soak some seeds, and North American Indians used to soak pecan nuts. It's interesting when there are practices like that around in the record. It suggests people were getting problems off them. Some varieties at any rate are probably best soaked if you're going to be eating a heck of a lot. Mark has a note on it here:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/soaking-seeds-and-nuts/

  7. #7
    BlueBear's Avatar
    BlueBear is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20
    Thanks, I will definately soak nuts whenever I eat more than a handfull. But now I'm thinking dairy is perhaps a better choise for protein since I can handle dairy well and because it is higher in protein than nuts.

  8. #8
    liss's Avatar
    liss is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    Posts
    157
    Oh my, you are in an unusual position. BlueBear, if I were you I would calculate the absolute minimum protein you need daily and then take in no more than that because--as you've learned--the vast majority of protein sources carry iron with them.

    At first it might seem wise to look to nuts for your protein needs, but if you look at them in terms of iron per gram of protein, they're actually a greater risk than some of your other options. Even the ones that are a little lower in iron than average nuts look like this: 1 ounce of macadamias give you 2.2g of protein for 4.9mg of iron. An ounce of almonds gives you 6g of protein for 1.2mg of iron. That doesn't come close to the lower iron ratios for cod (15g of protein for .2mg iron), whole milk (8g of protein for .1mg iron) and best of all egg whites (26g protein for .2mg of iron). Just remember that while egg whites are low in iron, you must ditch the yolk which is iron rich.

    As for omegas in nuts: only macadamia nuts (and coconuts if you consider them "nuts") are low in Omega 6, but unfortunately they also contain some iron. Still, you know your personal iron limits. If you can safely take in some iron and want to include nuts for variety while keeping safe Omega levels, it can be done. Simply offset your higher intake of Omega 6 with lots of extra fish oil pills. (You'd have to do the calculations depending on how many extra grams of O6 you were taking in, but it wouldn't be a hard thing to figure out.) As for the anti-nutrients in nuts, yes they are there and sprouting could help reduce them. Keep in mind that the nuts need to be raw in order to sprout. It can be challenging to find truly raw almonds anymore.

    I'm sure you already give blood regularly, but have you considered hookworks? (I really *really* want Mark to write a post about gut parasites and primal lifestyle. I suspect it's one of those key factors affecting many of us, yet most of us are utterly in the dark about it.)

    Good luck to you.

  9. #9
    Egoldstein's Avatar
    Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    432
    BlueBear, if you have a medical reason not to eat too much red meat, I would look at eggs, perhaps with extra egg white and select types of fish. Do not consume a huge amount of Brazil nuts as the selenium is too concentrated.

    Also, there was a previous thread somewhere on iron overload which seemed to indicate that too many carbs (particularly wheat) was a contributing factor.

  10. #10
    BlueBear's Avatar
    BlueBear is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by liss View Post
    Oh my, you are in an unusual position. BlueBear, if I were you I would calculate the absolute minimum protein you need daily and then take in no more than that because--as you've learned--the vast majority of protein sources carry iron with them.

    At first it might seem wise to look to nuts for your protein needs, but if you look at them in terms of iron per gram of protein, they're actually a greater risk than some of your other options. Even the ones that are a little lower in iron than average nuts look like this: 1 ounce of macadamias give you 2.2g of protein for 4.9mg of iron. An ounce of almonds gives you 6g of protein for 1.2mg of iron. That doesn't come close to the lower iron ratios for cod (15g of protein for .2mg iron), whole milk (8g of protein for .1mg iron) and best of all egg whites (26g protein for .2mg of iron). Just remember that while egg whites are low in iron, you must ditch the yolk which is iron rich.

    As for omegas in nuts: only macadamia nuts (and coconuts if you consider them "nuts") are low in Omega 6, but unfortunately they also contain some iron. Still, you know your personal iron limits. If you can safely take in some iron and want to include nuts for variety while keeping safe Omega levels, it can be done. Simply offset your higher intake of Omega 6 with lots of extra fish oil pills. (You'd have to do the calculations depending on how many extra grams of O6 you were taking in, but it wouldn't be a hard thing to figure out.) As for the anti-nutrients in nuts, yes they are there and sprouting could help reduce them. Keep in mind that the nuts need to be raw in order to sprout. It can be challenging to find truly raw almonds anymore.

    I'm sure you already give blood regularly, but have you considered hookworks? (I really *really* want Mark to write a post about gut parasites and primal lifestyle. I suspect it's one of those key factors affecting many of us, yet most of us are utterly in the dark about it.)

    Good luck to you.
    Great post, thanks. Although, iron per gram of protein isn't the golden standard for me because animal iron raised blood iron much more. But it still is a very good point. But what do you mean with hookworks, never heard of it and google isn't much help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •