Thread: Pulled/Torn quadriceps - Primal remedies? page

PaleoPat is offline Junior Member

Pulled/Torn quadriceps - Primal remedies?

Injured myself sprinting today *sigh*.

Left quadricep - grade 2 pull/sprain/tear.

Any primal advice for quick healing? Magical foods and that sort of thing?

Thanks

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    In my experience, a torn muscle is not easily used. A majorly strained muscle, can be forced around. But rest is your best bet. Pushing it is a recipe for future quad failures, and just referring to that as your "bum leg"...

Primal will feed your muscles. Here's a quick article that explains Vit/Mins for muscle repair: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md86.htm

Also, don't forget a good nights sleep. Your body does it's best repair work while you're sleeping.

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    What book gets 329 reviews on Amazon, 270 of them five star, many from physicians? And many reviews from people with long term pain issues that were completely resolved with the help of the book?

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief, Second Edition by Clair Davies, Amber Davies, and David G. Simons MD (Paperback - Jul 2004)

This is the short do-it-yourself version of the 1300 page two volume medical text by Drs. Janet Travell and David Simons on myofascial trigger point release for musculoskeletal pain resolution.

Exceptionally useful for do-it-yourself treatment and prevention for all sorts of musculoskeletal pain issues, everything from TMJ to migraine headaches to plantar fasciitis, with plenty of good quadraceps stuff in between. Even if a tear can't be healed by do-it-yourself myofascial trigger point release, healing can be accelerated by release of involved myofascial trigger points in the quads and other nearby muscles. Contracted muscles due to myofascial trigger points are much more susceptible to sprains, tears, and tendon problems.

Once I was doing a steep descent of the infamous Yosemite Falls trail in Yosemite National Park. Only a third of the way down, I developed left knee pain so severe that I thought I'd might need to overcome my Paleo guy embarrassment and get help. Last thing a man wants to do. But I couldn't go any further without a crutch or something. I'd carefully gone through the Davie's book and recalled some of the quad myofascial trigger point locations and release techniques. I sat on a rock and using the techniques involved searched for a myofascial trigger point in the quads. Found painful one about a foot or so above the knee, unmistakable, and released it. The knee pain vanished within a couple of minutes and did not recur and I was able to complete the remaining descent the last 2/3rds of the trail with no pain whatsoever. None that day, or the next.

This sort of relief is very common in the 75-80% of musculoskeletal pain that turns out to involve myofascial trigger points as the sole causes or as exacerbating factors. The book is well worth having around for any sort of nagging pain and for injury recovery help as well.

Myofascial trigger points can be released using techniques from the workbook. But perpetuating factors for myofascial trigger points can be minimized through a Paleo type diet and supplementation with magnesium, which is often very deficient in ordinary diet.
    Last edited by Paleo Man; 08-01-2010 at 11:31 AM.

PaleoPat is offline Junior Member
    Twin mama - thank you, didn't realise that vitamin E was quite as helpful for this sort of thing, fitday says I'm low on it so beginning supplementation.

Paleo man - Thank you for the advice, ordered the book.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Paleo man... I'm so getting that book!!!!!! Myofascial release has been the ONLY thing that saved me from sever back and neck pain!

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPat View Post
    Injured myself sprinting today *sigh*.

Left quadricep - grade 2 pull/sprain/tear.
    The exact same thing happened to me. I've had a difficult time with sprinting. I've decided to focus on lifting heavy things for a while since that seems to be easier on my body. As a suggestion from the PB, try doing uphill sprints at first. You will have less chance of injuring yourself this way.

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    myofascial release also contributed to healing my knee pains...good stuff

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I pulled my hammy end of June on my 4th sprint of the day. Who would expect it to happen on the 4th one!? (couldn't walk for a day) was limping for 3-4 more. Took 3.5 weeks to get over - didn't do any lower body or sprinting. My advice is to be VERY cautious. Re-injury is much worse than taking a month+ off and giving time to heal. You risk the type of chronic issues that many professionals have to deal with for their entire career.