Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Probiotics=bloating? ..and no weight loss. page 2

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I wouldn't call the spit test reliable, to be honest. Apparently it was conjured up by the makers behind Threelac, meaning that people who do the test and find the little strands will be more likely to purchase their product. There's no scientific reasoning behind it, as far as I'm aware.

I will be buying some Lactobacillus Acidophilius capsules myself soon; is 3 billion a good number for active cultures? Perhaps that's another important factor to take into consideration.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    how do you know when you dont need to take proiotics anymore? like how do you know they work or have worked? i do burp and stomach gurggle a ton from mine...

i have the NOW 10 billion probiotic caps

Mica is offline Member
    2-3 glasses of wine for a woman (assuming the OP is a woman) is a lot. I thought the "recommendation for health" was 1 glass for women. Echoing everyone else's recommendation to cut back on that.

How much weight do you still need to lose? Maybe you are getting closer to your target weight and things are slowing down/getting trickier. Maybe the Intermittent Fasting would help get things in gear again.

As for probiotics... Those "good bugs" you take in the pills go down there and start fighting the "bad bugs" that may have taken up residence in your colon over the years, thanks to the typical diet most of us eat all our lives. It can take a while for things to settle down. Depending on who you talk to (ie. what expert), some say if we've ever taken antibiotics more than a couple of times in our lives then we need probiotics forever. There's apparently a difference between the bugs that live on the surface and the bugs that live deeper within our intestines, and that chlorine in water, antibiotics, "bad bugs" etc. will kill off those "good bugs" that live deeper. We can't replace those deeper ones, and the surface ones die off too regularly, so we constantly need to replace them. At least that's the theory that makes sense to me. BUT - you can get probiotics from food!! If you're looking to cut the expense of supplements, consider making (not buying) sauerkrauts and fermented vegetables. If you're not opposed to dairy, yogurt's a source too. You can even ferment fish (though I won't be).

Lulubelle is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for all the great feed back! What better time than Aug (Aug Primal Challenge) to start cutting out the wine (at least till I get to my goal weight!). I am also going to try my best to have my coffee with out the sugar.
    I am having some eyelid surgery on the 16th of August, "they" told me to stop me Vitamin D and fish oil cause it thins the blood - so, I'm stopping everything until Sept 1. But I guess if the put me on antibiotics - I'll need those Probiotics again!!

PS: I am (female) 5'6 and weight 138, trying to get to 128, I think I still have fat to lose...

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    PS: I am (female) 5'6 and weight 138, trying to get to 128, I think I still have fat to lose...
    I am 5'7' 125 and I eat pretty similar to you, EXCEPT for the wine and sugar.

Imyers04:
    Yeah, I know what I need to give up, I've been justifying the wine and chocolate. I will probably lose faster now that I am giving those up!
    Wow, 5'7 and 125, sounds great! How long eating Primal?

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    Imyers04:
    Yeah, I know what I need to give up, I've been justifying the wine and chocolate. I will probably lose faster now that I am giving those up!
    Wow, 5'7 and 125, sounds great! How long eating Primal?
    I ate a lot of chocolate this weekend, and enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner on Sunday for the record. It was delicious! I tend to save these things for the weekend. Trying to give these things up really stresses me out, so I would recommend giving yourself at least one time a week to enjoy them. This is more sustainable in the long term, and wont slow your progress down during the other days of the week at all. Also, stress is proven to effectively put the brakes on body fat mobilization/oxidation, so feeding your soul and being happy is just as important for succesful longterm weightloss as nutrition is. I am not happy when I dont eat chocolate. However I am not healthy when I eat chocolate everyday. I am happy when I am healthy. You get the idea.

I am all for never eating white sugar again though. That crap needs to go and never return!

Ive been eating like this since early March of this year. I love it.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Also, a reminder not to depend too much on the scale. Mirror and measurements.

Imeyerso4: Thank you! Yes, I feel the same without my chocolate, for a while I was buying a bag of Organic dark choc chips (justifying again it was "organic" and "dark"), but 1 small oz. quickly lead to pouring them in my hand, again... and again... and they are oh so good with another glass of red wine while watching a great movie! Argh! Starting today...no more (or like you said - on the weekends!)
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast