Thread: Book recommendations please page

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Cool Book recommendations please

Primal Fuel
    Hi,
    I know there are a few threads up about good books, but I'm looking for quite specific suggestions, if that's even possible!
    I'm after quite a holistic health book; with a sound scientific basis but not as heavy going as GCBC. Something focused on female hormones, their interactions, problems etc; plus natural type remedies. Maybe aspects of mental health / wellbeing too. Maybe going into body image / culture?
    OK, looks like it'll be multiple books!

I already have "The ultimate pcos handbook" by Collette Harris (good but CW based), GCBC, the PB, and my Amazon basket has "Why do I still have thyroid symptoms?" by Datis Kharrazian.

I see "primal body primal mind" mentioned a lot, but it has mixed reviews so I'm not quite convinced.
    Not really fussed for Guns, Germs, and Steel; or How fire made us human. Not really into archaeology, but some anthropology interests me.

I'm browsing Amazon but of course there's no handy tag that says "this book more-or-less agrees with primal / paleo ideas" and I don't want to get stuck in to a fresh load of CW crud.

Thoughts?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    "Fat is a feminist issue" by Susie Orbach...?

Sherissima is offline Member
    I would like to find a comprehensive holistic endocrinology reference book, so I'll be watching this thread.

At present, the best book about the reproductive system I've seen is Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Tony Weschler. Regarding body image, I liked The Body Sacred by Dianne Sylvan - a self development book from a Pagan perspective.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    Have you looked at "The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity"? It has a lot of old world stuff...but some there are "bits of gold are in them-thar hills".

Also..."Younger Next Year for Women", "The Blue Zones", and "50 Secrets of the World's Longest Living People"?

Hope this helps.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Hi,
    I'm after quite a holistic health book; with a sound scientific basis ...
    I think David Servan-Schreiber's Healing without Freud or Prozac: Natural Approaches to Curing Stress, Anxiety and Depression without Drugs and without Psychoanalysis is quite interesting. He was one of the original board members of Médecins Sans Frontičres, USA, and is a professor of psychiatry, so he's certainly got medical credentials. However, he's prepared to go against both the psychotherapy bandwagon and the prescribe-some-pills approach. He's got thoughts on the "emotional mind" with a little on how you can know what's wrong, but knowing doesn't help. (That on its own should make one think twice about the Freudians.) There are also some thoughts on the role of REM in sleep, omega-3 fatty acids, dawn simulation, acupuncture, and various other things. So he does take an all-round approach. It's thoughts more than anything, since some of these areas are fairly new.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Healing-with...dp/1405077581/

Not really "health" books, but I'd also recommend anything by Oliver Sacks, because he's such a good writer and communicator, and because neurology is such a fascinating area. You're in a complex and rich and strange no-man's land between science, which is hard-edged and generalist, and insight, which is sympathetic and particular and personal. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - he really did - is a good place to start, if you don't know Sacks's books. Less than a fiver at Amazon - or there are probably copies hanging around in second-hand bookshops or some libraries.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Who-Mist...dp/0330294911/

Something focused on female hormones, their interactions, problems etc; plus natural type remedies.
    Don't know.

EDIT:

Nora Gedgaudas, whom you mention, has some MP3s up online. I haven't heard them, although I have ordered her book Primal Body, Primal Mind. Perhaps I ought to have listened to them first to see whether I liked her approach.

Anyway, those MP3 talks include one called "The Wild, Whacky World Of Female Hormone Land"

http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com...workshops.html

Maybe aspects of mental health / wellbeing too. Maybe going into body image / culture?
    Well-being and body-use I can suggest something on. There are some interesting comments on cultural habits of moving and sitting/standing, etc., too. Body, Breath and Being: A New Guide to the Alexander Technique by Carolyn Nicholls:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Breath-...dp/190446842X/

Really any good short introduction to the Alexander Technique is kind of interesting - although it's not something you can do from a book. It's probably worth the time it takes to read a short guide to raise one's awareness of how body and mind interact ... or is that a wrong way of putting it? Are they perhaps same thing? A hugely interesting area. People's use of their "bodies" is generally very bad in modern Western society, and there's an interesting story there somewhere.

Here's an interesting short essay on Alexander and Feldenkrais online:

http://www.somatics.com/hannart.htm

One theme it mentions is proprioception - one's sense of where all the bits of one's body are - which can become rather disrupted in high-pressure, "unnatural" environments, like our own.

Not really into archaeology, but some anthropology interests me.
    I find ethnography (writings about peoples) rather than anthropology (the study of Man) more interesting personally. There are some texts like John Beattie's Other Cultures: Aims Methods and Achievements in Social Anthropology that could send one to sleep quite easily. For me there's a limit to the interest in analysing and codifying social arrangements. It's not really scientific, but it's leaning towards the scientific approach - i.e., it's generalist. I like to see the particular in all its thusness.

Grau, theurer Freund, ist alle Theorie,
    Und grün des Lebens goldener Baum.

Grey, dear friend, is all theory,
    And green the golden tree of life
    And, of course, anthropologists don't always take much notice of what people eat and how they get what they eat.

I much prefer something like Captured by the Indians: 15 Firsthand Accounts, 1750-1870:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captured-Ind...dp/0486249018/
    Last edited by Lewis; 08-01-2010 at 12:52 PM.