Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets play... RATE MY VITAMINS! page

ikaika is offline Senior Member

Question Lets play... RATE MY VITAMINS!

Shop Now
    OK all you lovely knowledgeable people, you convinced me to get a multivitamin. I take a fishoil, and though I would've loved to get a Zinc and an Iron and a D and an outstanding multi.. truth be told, my budget leapt up and smacked me around, so I settled for one that was on sale at my work.

Its 'NOW - Daily Vits.'

So, tell me what you think. What'd I get? What do I still need? ( I know, you'd really need to know my tests, etc... but... )

http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3355

-写

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I really don't like it.

4,000 IU A is too much.

It has ergocalciferol which is ....pointless.

The 150 mg calcium *carbonate* is a waste of space.

35mcg selenium? ugh....selenium deficiency is widespread and supplementation of this micronutrient has extensive and solid supporting data.

I like
    Rainbow Light Women's Just Once
    Rainbow Light Men's just Once
    Natrol My Favorite Multiple Take One (with iron)
    Natrol My Favorite Multiple Take One (iron free)

.....depending on iron needs.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    I'm really glad you chimed in-- I was anticipating your response! I don't know anything about selenium. And can you tell me more about too much A?
    I'll get through this bottle and 'graduate' from there-- I figure I'm better off now than I was on my old expired Target brand multi!

-写

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    I really don't like it.

4,000 IU A is too much.
    Cillikat, the two you recommend have 5000 IU vitamin A, don't they?

But yay, the Rainbow doesn't have PABA. I looked up the Natrol previously when you posted about it, but I'm allergic to PABA (and benzocaine and sulfa, similar group).

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    4000 IUs of the vit A in the NOW is from retinol palmitate. Rainbow light has 2500 from retinol palmitate. I think the Natrol has none from retinol, but can't recall. The rest is from beta carotene--there is a difference, and it matters (esp in terms of A toxicity/messing w/ the balance between vits A and D). I don't know enough about it though, I'm guessing cillakat can share more.

Thanks, I thought it would be that, but I swear I looked at them yesterday and couldn't see where they broke down the form, but today it's plain as day. It was one of those days I guess

Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    Cillikat, the two you recommend have 5000 IU vitamin A, don't they?
    all beta carotene in the natrol, and half beta carotene in the rainbow light.

But yay, the Rainbow doesn't have PABA. I looked up the Natrol previously when you posted about it, but I'm allergic to PABA (and benzocaine and sulfa, similar group).
    Hmmm. My 8yo is anaphylactic to sulfa drugs (and clarithromycin)....but doesn't have a problem with oral PABA. She does have rxns to topical PABA though.

*thinks*

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    Stay away of these.

1. The Vitamin A as retinol is more toxic than beneficial. Search something with carotenoids as a Vita A source, something around 3000 units will do.
    2. Ergocalciferol as Vita D is nogo. Get something with cholecalciferol, or, better... SUNBATH

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    Stay away of these.

1. The Vitamin A as retinol is more toxic than beneficial. Search something with carotenoids as a Vita A source, something around 3000 units will do.
    In small amounts, retinol is not problematic....it has very much to do with overall intake and the preformed A to D ratio. It's all about what is biologically and physiologically appropriate for humans.

But oto end of the spectrum..... WAPF is simply wrong that natural retinol isn't harmful in huge quantities. We see the harm in high vitamin A intake populations - the innuit and scandinavian osteoporosis and fracture rates. Increased respiratory infections.

Enough retinol is critical. Too much is bad. It's not terribly difficult to discern what is appropriate when viewed through an evolutionary lens versus simple a traditional lens. (which is where the WAPF goes wrong)
    2. Ergocalciferol as Vita D is nogo. Get something with cholecalciferol, or, better... SUNBATH[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Hmmm. My 8yo is anaphylactic to sulfa drugs (and clarithromycin)....but doesn't have a problem with oral PABA. She does have rxns to topical PABA though.
    *thinks*
    It's a topical reaction I have too. I just don't know what oral would do, and wasn't keen to rush and find out carelessly I had googled a bit, and someone somewhere (with a topical PABA allergy) had posted that they just generally didn't feel great when inadvertently taking PABA in their multi, and felt better when they figured out the multi had PABA and stopped it. That was all I could really find, and it's pretty vague stuff. I'd probably give the Natrol a try if I couldn't find any alternative that wasn't way more expensive, but that doesn't seem to be the case. PABA is found in foods, so maybe it is truly a topical allergy only, I don't know. Thanks for the input.

I don't have any anaphylactic reaction. Sulfa just, you know, gives me itchy red spots over my whole body And a little benzocaine on my hand makes most of my arm red and swollen. Scares me to think of that happening to my poor insides. Typical hair dyes are also supposed to be part of this group, so I'm scared all my hair will fall out if I try to color it (will have to look at henna instead).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast