Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any foods that help people with ALS ? page

Acteon is offline Senior Member

Any foods that help people with ALS ?

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I was wondering if there are any foods that can help people stay healthier longer if they are suffering from ALS (Lou Ghering's disease).

I have a family member who has ALS.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Stephan Hawking apparently takes high doses of B vitamins. Avoid aspartame. lithium is helpful.

mosin46 is offline Senior Member
    have taken care of some at end stage or in crises situations. a devastating disease. i use private practice folks for my own care and am very happy with that model. i hate to say it but this,gillian barre,acute active tetanus and the like are often best cared for in an acdemic environment. the care is so intense,so high tech,so involved,so expensive,so multi-specialized and so time consuming that the average private practice people can be overwhelmed,especially in these times of shortages everywhere. not,not,not a slam on anyone on the private side. been there done that on both sides. best wishes to your family member.

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    My mom just died of ALS last December after 18 months fighting the disease. I took care of her and took her to the dr.'s and have done a ton of research. I am so sorry to hear that you have a family member who has ALS. My mom had bulbar onset so it was extremely difficult to get enough food into her. I wish there was something that could be done to help treat the disease or even better cure it.

That being said. The most important thing you can do is make sure they get enough calories. They need to keep their weight up. The nuerologist told me that b vitamins are important, Q10 is important, and vitamin C. Before my mom had a feeding tube put in I gave her mostly hagandaus (sp??) ice cream (for the calorie content) mixed with Ensure Plus.

This http://www.alsforums.com/ is an excellent forum for people with Als and their families. I got alot of my questions answered there. The people are very supportive and have a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Please PM me if you want to talk or have questions. I know how devasting this disease is for the person and the family and friends.

roberta,sorry for your loss. my mother died of CVA this year. so,i get it. sounds like you had a REALLY with it neurologist. none of my bizz,but,private or academic?

The nuerologist who gave me the advice was private. But right after the diagnosis my moms insurance changed and I had to take her to the ALS clinic which was academic. I hate to say it was a disaster for us. Staff changes, they really didn't offer us much help.

I am sorry to hear about your mother too.

yea,i work in an academic center and it is usually a disaster of biblical proportions. the system,management and administration work very hard to keep it that way. we do get frequent over the top outstanding results due to excellent,highly flogged staff at most levels. always swimming uphill against the current. a whine?

I hear ya, the system can make it very difficult for the hard working caring people who actually do the job..

SunnyField is offline Junior Member

ALS, Google Search, Kushi Institute

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
    My mom just died of ALS last December after 18 months fighting the disease. I took care of her and took her to the dr.'s and have done a ton of research. I am so sorry to hear that you have a family member who has ALS. My mom had bulbar onset so it was extremely difficult to get enough food into her. I wish there was something that could be done to help treat the disease or even better cure it.

That being said. The most important thing you can do is make sure they get enough calories. They need to keep their weight up. The nuerologist told me that b vitamins are important, Q10 is important, and vitamin C. Before my mom had a feeding tube put in I gave her mostly hagandaus (sp??) ice cream (for the calorie content) mixed with Ensure Plus.

This ALS Support and Help Forum is an excellent forum for people with Als and their families. I got alot of my questions answered there. The people are very supportive and have a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Please PM me if you want to talk or have questions. I know how devasting this disease is for the person and the family and friends.
    I would suggest you to go to Google page, and type [ALS and Kushi Institute] both together in URL box. Kushi Intitute focus on Macrobiotic Diet. Here is Kushi link: Reversing Cancer Diabetes Psoriasis & More - Kushi Institute

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyField View Post
    I would suggest you to go to Google page, and type [ALS and Kushi Institute] both together in URL box. Kushi Intitute focus on Macrobiotic Diet. Here is Kushi link: Reversing Cancer Diabetes Psoriasis & More - Kushi Institute
    The Macrobiotic diet? Is this the same Macrobiotic diet that once promoted an all-rice-diet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast